Forget Me Not, by Alexandra Oliva

notesonbookmarks's review

Gave it 30% and felt like nothing had happened at all except a house fire. Still don't know what's happening, as the world-building for this is super slow. Bummer because I really loved her previous novel!

booksnbrains's review

dark mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

Like many other reviewers, I loved The Last One and went into this book with high expectations. Like the previous book, this is full of misdirection and twists, but Forget Me Not fell a bit flatter for me. The *twists* are foreseeable, which cuts into the suspense. I'm also getting tired of the use of mental illness by authors as reasoning for abusive behavior, and really the entire characterization of the mother here was too far-fetched. Thriller lovers will find something to enjoy here - it just didn't work for me.

penny_danner's review

Too confusing and too boring 😴

lanidon's review

mysterious sad medium-paced

I,,, don't get it. I feel like the author is trying to say something but I haven't got a single clue what. In the end, this is a sad domestic thriller with a near future light cyberpunk setting that doesn't impact the plot at all... I just don't understand what she's trying to do here?

I also think it's important to note the way race was discussed in this made me uncomfortable... I would like to hear some own voices reviews. There's nothing overt, but it just feels off to me.

Final note, we all agree Linda and Anvi should've gotten together, right? Good.

derschnauzbart's review

dark

shutterz's review

First chapter felt like si-fi

mousereads's review

BLOG|INSTAGRAM|TWITTER|YOUTUBE

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for giving me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Forget Me Not was a really cool thriller. We immediately are not sure if Linda can be trusted as a narrator or source of information based on her history. This was not a slow realization for us readers, it's insinuated from the get-go. The way that technology has also evolved from our current time to the time in this story was unique. Because this story is built around a world we already know, just slightly in the future, we did not need a ton of world-building. The information we did receive was understandable and created an easily imagined technology. Linda is a feral creature who is just trying to exist in a world that doesn't seem to want her. Her realizing she could exist in VR without having to force interactions with others to satisfy her not-father was something I think many introverts can relate to. Her friend and neighbor really seemed to help her without any expectations from her, and those of us with trauma and anxiety can really connect with how nice this can feel. The pacing of this book felt strange. There were moments the book was incredibly fast-paced, and other times it was slowly going, with Linda recalling facts and interactions that didn't always feel relevant to the story at hand.

All and all, this was a unique Sci-Fi dystopian that I really and truly enjoyed.

monikasbookblog's review

emotional medium-paced

chymerra's review

dark emotional mysterious reflective sad fast-paced

When I read the blurb for Forget Me Not, I knew that I had to read this book. I enjoy books that deal with childhood trauma/mystery/science fiction/dystopia. So when I saw that this book had all of those, I knew I would read it.

Forget Me Not was a fast-paced emotional book. The pacing was fast enough to keep the story going but not so fast that things got lost. There was a slight lag at various points in the book (mainly during Anvi’s POV), but the author got the book over the lag and back on pace.

Emotionally, this book wrecked me. My range of emotions went from anger (at Linda’s mother) to extreme sadness (Linda was severely damaged) to happiness (Anvi’s friendship) and back. I didn’t cry during this book, but I did have tears in my eyes while Linda battled her demons (literally and figuratively).

My heart broke for Linda during the book, but at the same time, I was amazed at her inner strength. She was a strong person. But even strong people have breaking points, and she did reach hers.

There were two plotlines in Forget Me Not. There was the main plotline with Linda and her issues (past and present). Then, there was the plotline about Linda’s older sister, who died and who Linda was born to replace. Both plotlines were equally fascinating and disturbing at the same time.

There were a couple of secondary plotlines in Forget Me Not too. Anvi’s plotline was interesting because of who she was and where she worked. I also liked it because of the genuine friendship that grew between her and Linda. The other plotline was….different. I didn’t understand why it was even being mentioned until the very end of the book. Even then, though, I wasn’t sure how it fit into Forget Me Not.

I loved how the author incorporated science fiction into the book. There were self-driving cars, devices that tracked Linda’s every move, and virtual reality. I loved it!! I loved how virtual reality helped Linda with her healing. There were points in the book where I was like, “Why didn’t her therapist try this before!!” But then I realized it probably wasn’t around.

The book’s thriller/suspense/mystery aspect didn’t come into effect until halfway through the book. I couldn’t get enough of it. I will say that Lorelei made me feel conflicting emotions. I wanted either to hug her, beat her, or put her in an asylum.

Before I forget, I do want to mention Linda’s father. I had conflicting emotions about him and also about how much he knew. He said that he knew nothing about Linda or what Lorelei did, but I don’t quite believe him. However, I think he didn’t know how Linda was being raised, and he took her in when she escaped. But he wasn’t precisely a hands-on father. Calling him distant would be nice. He did somewhat redeem himself at the end of the book but still. I wasn’t a fan of him.

The end of Forget Me Not was terrific. I will not get into it, but there were more twists and turns than a mountain road. I could not put the book down. And that last chapter. Talk about a doozy!!

Forget Me Not was an emotional, fast-paced book. It was well written with an engaging plotline. The author was able to keep me on edge with the mystery/thriller/suspense angle of the book.

I would recommend Forget Me Not to anyone over the age of 16. There is no romance and no sex (there is a flashback where Anvi remembers her ex, but the author did not give details). There is violence. There are scenes with an extremely mentally ill woman. There is a scene where MR’s death is detailed. There are scenes of extreme child neglect and abuse. There are flashbacks where Linda is harassed verbally and online.

alisonr26's review