I'm Thinking of Ending Things, by Iain Reid

lasciamiquilasciamistare's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced

Terrifying at times, which was refreshing for a book. But I heavily disliked the ending

twobatswithahat's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

achanceofsunny's review against another edition

3.99 stars bc a bit of a slow start and a very confusing ending but delightfully bizarre and unsettling

frejabitsch's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced

breweke's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious slow-paced

buscemisgrl's review against another edition

Obsessed. I was worried because I loved the movie so much that this wouldn’t be able to compare, but it definitely did. Fucking brilliant and right up my alley.

itsjadenbaby's review against another edition

AUDIO // Despite being confused the entire time, I also weirdly guessed exactly how this would go 10% in. Honestly I was mostly bored the whole time and the payout was not worth it for me.

mayaeg's review against another edition

after i finished i just sat in silence trying to process. it’s giving a24, hereditary weird like unsettling under your skin energy and then THE ENDING WHAT. excited 2 watch the movie because this book achieved effects i think it would be reaallly hard if not impossible to pull off in a movie. i love this book wow it’s like settling in and i’m realizing little things about the storyline and wow idk. definitely going to be rereading

kaspleenfa's review against another edition

Had a lot of lines about life and relationships and reality that really hit home for me.

I think it'd be good to reread to pickup on more things along the way... especially bc of how trippy it got toward the end. I felt unfocused then.

tatiannamaria's review against another edition

4⭐

a chilling road trip, there is a fine line between intelligence and madness
Sometimes a thought is closer to truth, to reality, than an action. You can say anything, you can do anything, but you can't fake a thought.

SpoilerI'm still unsure if I'm smart enough to grasp all the nuances of this book, but oh boy is it trippy!
Jake is on a road trip with his girlfriend. Destination: the farm where he grew up and where his parents still live.
However, on her way to meet his parents, the girl is contemplating "ending things" with Jake, for no particular reason, with no fault of his own.
As the night goes on, things get progressively more unsettling. Jake's parents are peculiar, the farm is not a rural paradise with the dead, frozen animals and the weird basement. They end up leaving the farm late at night, with a snow-storm raging outside, because Jake has work the next morning. Only to end up at a high school where things get seriously creepy. You can feel someone following you. And the part where Jake unravels is so well done in the audiobook , with the change from female to male voice, it genuinely made me look over my shoulder as I was walking home from work. What a mindfuck!