The Wise Man's Fear, by Patrick Rothfuss

rnickte's review against another edition

adventurous challenging mysterious medium-paced

thatdocfio's review

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

snoflus's review

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

grantturner13's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective slow-paced

I think this book needs a hard edit, to make it sit somewhere around the 600-700 page mark, I feel at 1000 pages the story becomes too diluted to really pack any sort of punch or keep me fully engaged.

I really enjoyed seeing kvothe travel around the world outside of the University and I foubd the ending was a nice conclusion, as in, I would be happy if there wasn't another book because I don't feel like I was left with massive burning questions or plot holes.

I would strongly reccomend this series if you love a slow burn fantasy filled with a cool magics system, loveable characters and great world building!

youdontshea's review against another edition

I feel like there’s a good chance you’ll find stuff your interested in and dislike in a 1000 page book. Some parts really ruined this book for me. I was torn between 2 and 3 stars, but I’m going to stick with the lower rating as this book left me feeling disinterested in the the series and its characters.

onehellofanerd's review

Brief Summary:
The student spends some more time at school almost getting himself killed over a girl whose not even explicitly interested in him and eventually goes onto travel the world where he proceeds to almost die several times.

Kvothe continues to be a genius and an idiot. And add girl stupid to it. Look at all the problems he’s gotten into because of Deanna and her ring. Deanna is still getting on my nerve with her moving around, but I do feel bad for her lifestyle of having to live off these guys. I also recognize that she is Kvothes foil and that they act very similar. I can’t wait to see what she’s actually been up to because I think that she and Kvothe might be looking for the same thing.

Glad that we finally got to leave the University and it’s fun. Wish I had a better idea of what the different countries look like and their people. Also, wish we knew more about the Fae lands and Fae seem like they would know a lot about old magic. The few bits we’ve seen looked interesting. That being said I was not a fan of the Felurian section

So many questions are left unanswered. Like: What’s Elodin’s past? There are so many hints that he might be Fae since they say Felurian reminds him of them. Man, I can’t wait to reread this and see what I get this time.

oakashandthorn's review

4.5, I enjoyed this book equally to the first except the scene saving the girls from the edema ruh impersonators made me feel a little weird and bumped it down half a point for me. Still anxiously awaiting the third book though!

fujindevil's review