Reviews for Monster Blood, by R.L. Stine

alan_allis's review

A classical Goosebumps book. Plain 2 stars.

fiv55sampler's review

dark mysterious

akshaya's review

These ratings are just because of the adult me who is reading this now. I enjoyed these books a lot back then. But have to agree that it's still standing out and is spooky at some point. Anyway these are written for children and I loved them when I was a child.

I am so glad that there is no monster blood in my house and my mom is not that mean to go and drop me in some strange relative's house to live for some days!

moonwatch3r's review

I read this with my 11 year old son and we both enjoyed it. Yes, it is written for kids. But still, it was engaging and fast paced. Quite a mystery, even though I had an idea of what was going on before the climax revealed everything. Nothing special, but it was a fun read overall.

laughterhp's review

Don’t think I ever read this one as a kid. It was okay. I’m so sick of bullies in stories though. I listened to this on audio and it was a good audiobook.

findingmontauk1's review

Monster Blood is the third installment in R.L. Stine’s coveted Goosebumps series. While it is the first one (chronologically) that I did not absolutely love, I still enjoyed it and do know that there will be sequels involving this dangerous monster blood. I wonder how all of the Monster Blood books hold up as one, over-arching story? I will find out soon enough!

This story follows a young boy named Evan who has to go live with his great aunt Kathryn because his mother is going to Atlanta for a trip (ATL haaaaay!) Who would be excited about something like that? So to make things more entertaining, he goes to the local toy shop and buys a can of monster blood – because ALL kids must purchase something that’s called “monster blood,” right? *rolls eyes*

So basically the monster blood just keeps growing and growing and growing. And while that seems like it should be important (and it might be more of a vital role in the sequels), it is not the underlying threat in this story to me. Strange things are happening with aunt Kathryn and her black cat. We have all the ingredients we need for a suspenseful twist-ending. Well, it didn’t totally surprise me… but I bet it would have had my 8-year-old self all shook up!

Things I did not like: the repetitive nature of Evan always chasing/looking for his dog, the actual monster blood itself (just growing and not really doing much of anything), and how blunt his cooky, great aunt Kathryn is! She straight up comes out of the woodworks asking him if he likes girls. Maam, MAAM! This is some distant family member you haven’t seen in how long? And you are asking him to just come out to you as a tween in the 90s?! You must be trippin’, aunty K!

Monster Blood gets 3.5 out of 5 for me. And I may be super lenient here… part of me wants to give it a 3 in fact. If the monster blood actually did frightening things I think I would give this one a higher rating. But the fact that this book spawned two sequels makes me think this must just be the introduction to the monster blood’s true and terrifying powers… and that we will all be in for a world of hurt as the next books unfold! At least… I HOPE!

cassie_reads_alatte's review

This was not scary, but instead quite unintentionally funny. However, I still had fun reading it.

bookishrealm's review

Goosebumps was probably one of my favorite series as a child. I used to own the original 62. Now I'm going back through and doing a complete re-read. Monster Blood focuses on a young boy by the name of Evan who stays with his aunt while his parents search for a house. He buys a can of monster blood from the toy store and it begins to grow and grow at an uncontrollable rate. The reader spends most of the book following Evan as he attempts to control the growth of the monster blood. The writing is great for a younger audience. It's accessible and the small cliff hangers at the end of chapters will appeal to readers. I personally thought the ending was interesting but not a huge shocker. There was a double twist that I think kids will really enjoy and as always R.L. Stine leaves room for a potential second story to come out of this.

lanidon's review

Not the best Goosebumps book

bfozo's review

What’s better than a Goosebumps book? Nothing!! These are all just as awesome as I remember them.