Confessions of a Call Center Gal, by Lisa Lim

matamgirl's review against another edition

I'm just going to go ahead and admit that I read this because it was on my Kindle and I was sick and wanted to read something not taxing. Also I had just read a bunch of YA dystopias so I needed something less grim.

This surprised me in a good way. Maddy was a relatable character and her whole struggle with finding a job and then taking the one that she could get certainly hit home. Was it pure fluff? Yes but sometimes one needs pure fluff.

morganmorning's review against another edition

Light and fluffy.

wulfwyn's review

Maddy and her friend Karsynn get jobs in a call center. They did not set out to be one of those annoying people who you rarely understand and who aren't very helpful. They just needed a job. Maddy takes us from training to floor in a snarky fun way. Along the way we meet her coworkers , who are from different cultures, which provides more entertainment. We also get to peek inside Maddy and Kars private lives. We are privy to some of the calls which range from hilarious to heartbreaking. We learn about supervisor and Q&A who have no other goal than call turnover and selling of some product regardless of what is happening during the call. We learn about the stress that is placed on the call center employees and we hear the fun. I was entertained and was laughing out loud throughout the book.
Author Lisa Lim has managed to change my perception of call center employees somewhat. I believe I may be kinder to the next ones I deal with, unless they have that annoying automated system that they force me to go through first. Then all bets are off and I am cranky.

* I received this book for review by the author. No promise of a good review was given. No compensation was offered or received. The opinions expressed are my honest feelings about the book*

familywithbooks's review

Wow this book brought me back to my call center days! I luckily did not have to sell, but everything else came rushing back to me, including never touching that "not ready" button! I'm glad those days are far behind me :)

Great story that was told - highly recommend to all my chick lit loving friends. There's even a nod to the Shopaholic series when Maddy mentions it could be her Denny George scarf moment! Loved it!

cicatricella's review

A very true-to-life depiction of the life of a call-centre monkey.

readincolour's review

Okay, before I tell you about this hilarious read, I have to share with you a disclaimer I received from the author when she saw I was reading it on Goodreads.

***DISCLOSURES: If you find politically incorrect shows like The Office, South Park and Chelsea Lately detestable, childish and offensive, then my book is probably NOT for you. But I don't write with malice, it's meant to be lighthearted, snarky and harmless.

I'm a Chinese gal and I lightly poke fun at all races, including my own. Growing up in Malaysia, people were a lot more tolerant and a little less sensitive about that topic. And sometimes I think it's healthy to be able to laugh at yourself, as long as it doesn't cross a line or go over the top.

It really did make me cackle that she felt the need to defend her work prior to me reading it. I can't tell you how many times I wished authors who've written horribly bad books would send me a notice of disclosure before I picked up their book. I'm not easily offended and though I don't watch The Office or South Park, I've read a few Chelsea Handler books and enjoyed them.

Recent college graduate Madison Lee can't find a job, though she doesn't seem to be trying too hard. So when her best friend, Karsynn Higginbotham, invites her to come visit her in the hotbed of excitement that is Pocatello, Idaho, Maddy takes her up on it. The modern day Laverne & Shirley find themselves jobs in a call center, of all things, and that's where the fun begins.

You might think that there's nothing funny about answering phones all day, but Lim does a great job of keeping the dialogue light, funny and moving at a pace reminiscent of The Gilmore Girls. Not only are the main characters well developed, so are the secondary characters. I don't think Lisa Lim has anything to worry about when it comes to finding an audience for Confessions.

What did you like about this book?
Reading this book was really like watching a sitcom. Though Lim doesn't go into a lot of detail about the character's setting, their voices ring through loud and clear giving you a full impression of who they are and allowing you to visualize the characters and the call center.

I also love how the author intertwines popular culture references.

What didn't you like about this book?
It didn't bother me, but there are some jokes that others might find slightly offensive.

What could the author do to improve this book?
I would have loved a synopsis at the end giving updates on Karsynn, Truong and the rest of the crew.