karambit's review

adventurous funny lighthearted medium-paced

eternal_words's review against another edition

adventurous dark relaxing medium-paced

mollyanne624's review against another edition

adventurous funny medium-paced

empathreads's review

adventurous challenging emotional funny hopeful reflective sad tense fast-paced

SpoilerThis was another short side story mainly focusing on Cardan's POV and it had grounded emotions towards a reflection to one's self. Aslog came to taught him lessons and different version of stories till the second time they met. I was reminded of Balekin's words towards him about choosing a future but then its supposed to be choosing a path with bit of uncertainties that lies ahead. More than anything else, he hold his morales refusing to spill blood on his hands unlike the High Queen, Jude.
The book imparted that however horrible your past may be or how you may have been brought up, you have the power to make choices to your own life and nobody else can ever take that away from you.

limitlessreads's review

adventurous dark emotional funny hopeful informative lighthearted mysterious reflective fast-paced

This bonus book is apart of my favourite trilogy...no shock that I loved it as much as the other books. The illustrations were beautiful!

erovelo's review

adventurous emotional funny sad tense fast-paced

jeannemuldoon's review

slow-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

Read 10 December, 2020.

Cardan backstory. Depressing backstory more than shenanigans. Not much that really develops his character outside of what we already got in the trilogy. 10% sequel, 90% prequel. Not enough Jude, or Oak, or Madoc, or Vivvy and Heather. Even more Taryn would've been welcome. Mostly we got a lot of Nicasia. Meh.

This review brought to you by: Someone Who Loves Cardan's Character and Who Loves the Trilogy and Who Even Loved Taryn's Novella. I was so excited for this book, I pre-ordered it! It just didn't live up to my expectations. But this isn't a review from someone who didn't like the story or characters in general.

bookcrushin's review

adventurous dark fast-paced

This was an interesting way to tell a short story but also get a glimpse into the mind of Cardan. I liked how it weaved the present with the past and how stories help Cardan grow.

readandfindout's review

Plot: 5 stars
Worldbuilding: 4 stars

plumpaperbacks's review

emotional funny sad fast-paced

I was excited for more content in the Folk of the Air world, and this little novella collection certainly delivered. Cardan is one of my favorite lovable dumbasses, so I devoured these stories in just a few hours. Also, the entire book is absolutely gorgeous. Rovina Cai’s illustrations are stunning, and I think her portrayal of Cardan is among the best I’ve seen.

Now for some thoughts regarding each novella.
  • The King of Elfhame Visits the Mortal World: 4 stars. Fun, but not really substantial.
  • The Prince of Elfhame is Rude: 4 stars. My criticism here is the same as it is for the previous novella.
  • The Prince of Elfhame Hates (Almost) Everything and Everyone: 4.5 stars. It was interesting to see how Cardan and Nicasia met.
  • The Prince of Elfhame Gets a Moth Drunk: 3.5 stars. Though it wasn’t as interesting as the title suggests, I did like seeing Cardan’s softer side. (He just won’t admit he has one.)
  • The Prince of Elfhame is Mildly Inconvenienced: 3 stars. This was kind of pointless, but seeing Jude and Taryn from Cardan’s perspective is definitely interesting.
  • The Prince of Elfhame Gets Wet: 3 stars. Again, this was kind of pointless, but I enjoyed seeing his crush on Jude develop.
  • The Prince of Elfhame is Given Two Stories: 4 stars. I’m not sure if I’m supposed to but I kind of like Aslog. (Note: This doesn’t last.)
  • The Prince of Elfhame Learns to Hate Stories: 4 stars. The best word to describe Cardan is “fool”, as evidenced by this story. I love him anyway.
  • The Prince of Elfhame Stomps Around: 4 stars. Alternate title: The Prince of Elfhame Has a Crush on a Mortal. We love to see it. At least, I do.
  • The King of Elfhame Tries to Do One Good Thing: 5 stars. YESSS JURDAN CONTENT. Also, I love seeing Cardan in the mortal world, 10/10 would read more. This is one of my favorite stories.
  • The King of Elfhame Gets What He Deserves: 5 stars. Cardan really is a dumbass, but it’s fine. He means well—most of the time—and he’s entertaining regardless. This is my other favorite story. (Yes, my favorites are the ones that involve Jude and Cardan. I’m a simple lesbian that just loves to see her favorite heteros together.)

Some of these made me laugh, and others really made me pity Cardan. It’s a super short book, easy to speed through, and if you’re a fan of this series, I can’t recommend it enough. Cardan might hate stories, but I love them.