Guardians of Dawn: Zhara by S. Jae-Jones

gracefulturtle's review against another edition

2/5

DNF, so the second star is only for the non-binary friend, the cat and the lesbian.

I actually liked it in the beginning. The magic system is nice and I thought it was going somewhere.
But the author has this annoying habbit of revealing things halfway. Kind of like if a child would ask their parent where the hamster is and they said: "Oh, it's dea... living happily on a farm."
Which is fine for secrets between characters, just makes them seem a little bit dumb.
But then the author starts doing this for plot twist THE READER IS NOT SUPPOSED TO KNOW YET! And this is going to be at least a duology, so i don't even know if these plot twist will be revealed in the first book.
This just makes this book a really dragging read at times and after this happend for like the third time, I'm just done.

liliths_dreamworld's review against another edition

adventurous funny tense medium-paced

To me, it wasn't an entirely bad book, but also not really a great book. It's a typical YA book as in the premise is of a girl having powers unlike any other.
What irked me the most was the dual POV. You follow Zhara on the one hand, and Han, the Royal Heir and love interest, in the other chapters. And Han was a boring, bland character. No depth, nothing intriguing. Zhara was better, but still not entirely to my liking either, though I felt more neutral to her.
About the plot...it took too long to reach important parts of the story. There was too much useless banter and conversations in between. I felt as if it was going nowhere, and important revelations took too long to reach because apparently all the characters aren't that bright.
All in all, I won't get the next book in the series. The execution was simply not there for me, even if some of world building was interesting to me.

courtharman's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious sad tense slow-paced

isnotacrayon's review

I just felt bored. Very little happened in 160 pages.

emmatilley's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

oncemorewithreading's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful mysterious medium-paced

arminareads's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted slow-paced

evieslibrary's review against another edition

Ugh just not for me right now

marlieraines's review

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

lmg23's review

adventurous dark emotional lighthearted mysterious reflective tense medium-paced