I'm Watching You, by Karen Rose

jessielynn's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

karouslibrary's review

dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

covertocovergirl's review against another edition

Great plot. Loved Abe and the Reagan family. Drake Edwards is a chilling character even more so than the actual serial killer. Interesting spin on why the killer is actually killing but a very skewed view nonetheless.

chloemc99's review against another edition

I thought this book was alright, definitely a step up from the first two in the series.
Kristen is a states attorney who has found evidence of multiples crimes in the boot of her car, victims who just so happen to be bad men who Kristen was unable to put away.
Abe Reagan is a new homicide detective and assigned to this case, the more Abe and Kristen work together to catch this vigilante, the more their feelings for each other grow stronger.

I enjoyed this story, I liked the connection Kristen and Abe had together, I liked the murder plot line just the ending however was lacking for me

mftaylor's review against another edition

Wow! A great read! I have found another new author!

This is my first read from Karen Rose although it is listed as #3 in her romantic suspense and #2 in her Chicago series. I will admit the romantic suspense genre threw me off a little as I often don't enjoy romance books, even if it's intermingled with suspense. I usually find them too over the top, unrealistic and annoying. This was the exception. So glad I read it and gave it a chance.

Kristen Mayhew is a star prosecutor for the Chicago Public Defender's office. Abe Reagan is a detective recently moved to the homicide division after a five year stint undercover in Narcotics. A vigilante has started murdering criminals, criminals that are linked to Mayhew's past cases; cases she lost. He sends her care packages regarding each murder. As the murder count rises, Kristen becomes a target along with everyone close to her.

A great page-turner that keeps you guessing. Wonderful, interesting characters with backgrounds and lots of depth. I admit it can get a little confusing with so many characters and the fact the author easily flips between first and last names but you quickly become engrossed and invested in each character, especially the main two. I look forward to reading more from this author, fingers crossed they are just as good and entertaining.

Spoilers below.....

I liked the ending but found it worked too hard to tie everything up in a neat little bow. I tend to lean away from books that have people fall so deeply love within mere days of meeting, although this book I really enjoyed, I wasn't as happy with the quick proposal at the end and the miraculous change in her fertility. I felt it was teetering on unrealistic romance, but the overall story was so good that I chose to ignore that and still rate it a 5 stars.

beccajbooks's review

Oh Abe! **swoon**

As with all of Karen Rose's books. I get hooked as soon as it begins. There is action from the start. And we have all the old faces from previous books, coming back to join in the fun!

In 'I'm Watching You', the 3rd in the romantic suspense series from KR - we have a serial killer who is avenging the deaths/miscarriages of justice of those who the courts/prosecutors failed. Namely one such prosecutor - Kristen Mayhew. However, far from blaming Kristen, he actually feels sorry for her, and our vigilante killer is taking out the criminals, defence attorneys and judges that got away with these heinous deeds. Our serial killer knows Kristen tried her hardest and so is 'rewarding' her with packages containing information on where to find the bodies of said criminals.

Meanwhile, Abe Reagan has just come back from being deep undercover in the drugs world, and has joined up with fellow officer Mia, to catch this bad guy. Abe lost his wife, Debra, to a gunshot meant for him and so is all kinds of conflicted and guilty.

Suffice it to say, that Kristen and Abe meet, sparks fly and they battle together to try and take down the killer before he kills too many more people, whilst hurdling all their respective insecurities and living happily ever after in the end... maybe.

As always, KR has written a gem here, I love it, and I love all the characters. The secondary characters of Abe's family are the best bit. Shouldn't everyone have a family like that? :)

This book is gruesome, it's gory, it has sex and violence and ... wait, no, there's no rock n roll. But it is fantastic and I recommend it highly. This was my second read through and it won't be my last. Looking forward now to the 23rd in the series coming out at the end of the year!

www.thebeautifulbookbreak.com

jennyk's review

Definitely liked this book, just didn't love it. This is the third Karen Rose I've read in a short time. I might have enjoyed it more with a little distance from the woman-in-peril/scarred-hero trope. Another thing that is simply a matter of taste, but these books are a little too dark/violent. The bad people are super bad. I found myself picking this up, reading two chapters, then putting it down. That said, I did want to know how it ended and I definitely liked the good guys.

fortheloveoffictionalworlds's review

As you can clearly see – I love the binge read I have clearly got going on! I mean, if you have ever read Karen Rose yourself, then you know exactly the obsession I am talking about!

In this one, we are introduced to Abe Reagen, and with him, the Reagan Family – Abe has just transferred to the Homicide Division after grueling years of undervcover work and a loss that devastated him.

Kristen Mayhew, the star prosecutor and a woman who holds her secret as tightly as a vault would. But is now in sights of a revenge killer; a killer who is cleaning of the streets of the city from the menace she failed to prosecute.

I loved Abe and Kristen together; they just clicked with each other and even with their combined baggage, they just worked and I loved that they saw that and tried their best to make it work.
But it was my own thoughts that I remember the most from the book – for there were times I was actually okay with the reason for the killer’s actions! And I got into a whole philosophical debate with my hubby on this topic that ended up with both of us pissed off and sulky.

And I loved that about this book – it ended up making sure that this author cemented herself as a rockstar in my mind; for she made me think and understand that there are parts in me that are as uncivilized as the killers we so try and condemn!

For more reviews visit For The Love of Fictional Worlds :)
Do come join us at For The Fictional Worlds Facebook Page