The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak

oliviajuliet's review against another edition

The story was moving too slow for me at the time. I would like to say I want to continue and finish but I am not sure anymore. Still pondering...

waclements7's review against another edition

DNF. I was listening to the audiobook of this, checked out from the library, and suddenly it expired and went back to the library. I wasn't heartbroken over it, because I was of two minds about finishing it. There were things that I liked about it, and things that really, really annoyed me. At first, the idea of death as the narrator appealed to me, but quickly became irritating. He was smug, condescending, and impartial. It was that narration, and the continual use of Liesl's full name, that made it hard to get attached to her as a character. The language was, I felt, too flowery and overdone. It didn't seem that Liesl developed as a character. I don't mind finding out things along the way, but to have the narrator rub the listener's nose in the fact that he knows something we don't just got to be a bit much. And it was just very odd to think that all of this was taking place during Nazi Germany. That could have been very interesting. But it wasn't. The audiobook was reclaimed by the library (I haven't had a card for a while and forgot to set it to 21 days rather than 7 for that one) right after Rosa lost the laundry job from the mayor's wife. But I already truly wasn't sure I wanted to go on. I don't know if reading it would have made a difference over hearing it. Maybe the narrator's voice irritated me and that was why he bugged me as a narrator and death seemed snide? I don't know. The language still seemed overdone, and I didn't like death's tone of superiority (not that death doesn't deserve to have a tone of superiority, but it was annoying to me when he talked about Rudy's death two years later just as an aside, when it didn't really seem to fit at the time, but just because he _could_ talk about it. I suppose that would be in character with death. Maybe I just didn't like the character.) I was just having difficulty sorting out how I felt about it, especially considering all the wonderful things I've heard about it. It's not the first time I haven't liked something other people have raved about. I suppose it won't be the last.

janeslittlelibrary's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective sad medium-paced

itsdanixx's review against another edition

"The Book Thief" follows a creative young girl, Liesel, growing up in WWII Germany as Death (yes, Death) narrates her life with her foster parents, her friends, and her Jew (yes, her Jew). It is just beautifully written. The way the story is told - through books, Death as narrator, heavy use of colours and symbolism - is very original and makes a nice change from the types of books you've read a hundred times before. The characters are extremely well, and realistically, developed, even Death. Most importantly, plot wise, it's a page turner. From when I first picked this book up I wanted to keep reading. I had to know what was happening to Liesel, Mama, Papa and her friends Rudy and Max! Another thing I liked is that quite a lot happens in this book, some parts more exciting than others but all interesting to read. However if you're looking for a feel good book or something light hearted, avoid this at all costs. More than a few tears were shed!! Also should note that although the focus of the book is a child, this is definitely for a slightly older audience!

clairec_'s review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny inspiring sad medium-paced

emma_marie0617's review against another edition

emotional hopeful informative inspiring mysterious sad tense medium-paced

bbaughman007's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful sad slow-paced

brennavreads's review against another edition

The first time I tried to read it I couldn't get into it and gave up. I am so glad my friends encouraged me to give it a second chance. The beginning is slow but it picks up and then you can't put it down. I cried and cried, so you know it's good.

seewha1502's review against another edition

4-4.5⭐

l1brarygirl's review against another edition

Interesting book. I like historical fiction and this was told from the perspective of Death following a German girl during WWII and Hitler's reign. I have read stuff from the point of view of the Jewish people that were hunted but never from the German side and how there were people who resisted and how that ended for them. The bombing of innocent people; there was just so much needless death and of course Death shows us this.

Wasn't a fan of the German words, I know that it was their language but sometimes the words weren't explained and I was left wondering. Wish we had more of a conclusion as well to the Book Thief's life - who'd she marry? What happened with Max?