Reviews tagging Fatphobia

Queenie, by Candice Carty-Williams

sdunn13's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

mamagina's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional funny hopeful fast-paced

Queenie is witty, honest, confused, pinballing through life at a breaking point. She is a character of multitudes and Candice Carty-Williams writes the diverse voices in her life with a deft hand.

SpoilerWhat we learn is to inhabit the mind and body of trauma, and more specifically, the trauma of a black woman in London, from the inside.

paperbackgirl's review against another edition

challenging emotional funny hopeful reflective medium-paced

simonemaybe's review against another edition

The content of this book is very triggering and I was very surprised. CW: sexual assault, mental health neglect, family trauma, abusive relationships - I can go on.

camillou's review against another edition

emotional sad medium-paced

lilacsophie's review against another edition

naju's review against another edition

dark emotional tense fast-paced

a while ago i wrote a review on letterboxd for the movie A Fantastic Woman that said: "painful from my head to my toes. i'm still uncertain as to if i think cinema making you This uncomfortable is productive or not... we'll see"

i feel almost the same about this book. there is a lot of suffering, suffering i know happens in real life. we do get some development after all, and it ends on a hopeful note, but my stomach is still turning. don't know how to feel about it yet.

jularcido's review against another edition

dark emotional funny hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

I heard so much praise for this book (and a comparison to Bridget Jones??) so I HAD to read it. This story follows Queenie, a 20-something Jamaican Brit, and her life spiraling as she deals with heartbreak, a job that isn't what she dreamed it would be, a family who won't listen, and friends who don't know how to help her. All Queenie wants is to be seen, and to figure it all out.
The writing style and first-person narration really made me feel like I was listening to a friend. This made it all so much more frustrating when she kept making self-destructive decisions. These decisions were only some (not all) of the triggering content that made the story so raw and realistic. To me, this book wasn't as much a cute heartwarming read but more cathartic and relatable. Queenie's mental health issues were written well and I really liked her nonlinear path of recovery.
All Queenie's interactions really showcased the different forms of racism and sexism a person can face simply dealing with work issues, talking with friends, and dating trash men. While I cannot speak for the Black experience, as a POC myself, I connected with many of the micro-aggressions (and straight up aggressions) that she had  to deal with, especially with men. The racial gaslighting that Queenie faced throughout the book really made my heart hurt. 😕
Although the book dealt with a lot of heavy topics, I feel that I found a friend in Queenie, and maybe you will too. 💕

awomandarose's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring sad medium-paced

This was a really beautiful story. Williams crafted the character of Queenie, her family and friends so well and managed to somehow find a balance between comedy and seriousness within Queenie's story, as she must traverse many changes, racism in every day life, generational differences in family, trials of friendship and dating, and her own mental health issues.

lauconn's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced