Coraline (Graphic Novel) by Neil Gaiman

mehsi's review

I loved Coraline the novel, and when I saw that it had a graphic novel I just had to try out.

And did I enjoy it? Yes, I did. However there were things I didn't like that much.
Like for instance Coraline. She looked more like 14/15, instead of the age presented in the book (11 I believe). Especially since in the novel it was also said that she looked small for her age. This bothered me quite a bit. It was like looked at a sullen teenager with a need for toys and parent love, she was clingy and some other stuff you just don't expect with how she looked. A shame.
Same goes for a few other characters that just didn't match with what we had a descriptions in the book.

The art at times was good, but at other times just didn't seem right. Things seemed off/strange, anatomy not always right.

Still it was really fun to see this in pictures, to see the scary story unfold. And it was creepy, especially when read around 11pm. :)

Would I recommend this? Sure, if you don't mind the inconsistencies.

Review first posted at http://twirlingbookprincess.com/

erzbetclark's review

adventurous dark funny inspiring mysterious reflective fast-paced

lawbooks600's review against another edition

dark medium-paced

Representation: N/A
Score: Six out of ten.

Short review: This adaptation of Coraline wasn't it.

Long review: I wanted to read this one after seeing it as a new arrival at a library. I glanced at the blurb, making it seem intriguing, but I headed in with low expectations after discovering it was an illustrated adaptation, and the ones I've read disappointed me. When I closed the final page, it was okay.

It starts with Coraline moving to a new house in an undisclosed location in the opening pages. Everything looks typical until she stumbles across a way to go to another house like the one she lives in, save for a few changes. The toys are better there, but most prominently, there are people who look like her parents, except they had black buttons for eyes. I'm unsure where to begin, but I'll try, the characters are not that easy to connect or relate with, even though I liked them. They lack depth. The worldbuilding is underexplored as there's no reason for some people having black buttons for eyes, or why there's another dimension full of ghosts. The author tried to combine aspects of horror and fantasy in the form of magical realism, but I wasn't that frightened. At least the climax was dramatic and the conclusion finished Coraline on a high note, with Coraline beating the antagonists and escaping from their house.

cursed_hal's review

miastrilecka's review

The best story I read this year

ruth_rb's review

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

emy102's review against another edition

adventurous dark hopeful inspiring mysterious medium-paced

kayla_jade's review

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

mollyreads1's review

Wasn't sure if it was going to be my cup of tea but it dark and eery and can't believe it's a children story

gardenfairyreads's review

so good! I like how there are some little questions or symbolic things in the story that don't have a definite explanation, and I like Coraline's reaction to all of the things happening to her. Very fun, only a little spooky :)