Sharp Objects, by Gillian Flynn

bookswithcyn's review against another edition

dark medium-paced

Predicted the major reveals but didn’t really bother me since the build up was well executed!!

lexilee316's review against another edition

3 fucked up, unhinged women in a stuffy, disgusting town, with disturbing and brutal violence. and i ate it up like i knew i would

lexilee316's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious sad medium-paced

bookishchloo's review against another edition

a great thriller that i would recommended to any fans of the genre. wonderfully written characters and environment. i wasn’t on the edge of my seat with the twists, but a still haunting read.

booksbynat's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious tense

This was literally....what.

This was literally so so good but like crazy psycho manic. I am not entirely sure how this even ended, I ended it then immediately went to bed. It was so good, and I was invested in the story. I can't believe that I didn't read this sooner. I used an audiobook for most of it bc then I listened to it while I drove.

Loveeee Gillian Flynn.

krushmann's review against another edition

It wasn’t bad, but I had figured out who the killer was like halfway through and it just felt slow at times. A little dark for my taste yet somehow bland at the same time

sudaji's review against another edition

This book was so fucking wild what, there’s so many people who could’ve committed the murders and it ends up being the person I least expect?

With Camille’s mother it’s pretty obvious, she’s not a good parent you can tell! Unless her kids are sick, which says something about her as a person. It shows that she needs to be wanted.

spacestationtrustfund's review against another edition

Sometimes I think illness sits inside every woman, waiting for the right moment to bloom. I have known so many sick women all my life. Women with chronic pain, with ever-gestating diseases. Women with conditions. Men, sure, they have bone snaps, they have backaches, they have a surgery or two, yank out a tonsil, insert a shiny plastic hip. Women get consumed. Not surprising, considering the sheer amount of traffic a woman's body experiences. Tampons and speculums. Cocks, fingers, vibrators and more, between the legs, from behind, in the mouth.
I'm simply in awe of Flynn's ability to write fucked-up people doing fucked-up things.

In an essay Gillian Flynn wrote, "Libraries are filled with stories on generations of brutal men, trapped in a cycle of aggression. I wanted to write about the violence of women." She continued:
So I did. I wrote a dark, dark book, my first: SHARP OBJECTS. It’s a novel with a narrator who drinks too much, screws too much, and has a long history of slicing words into herself. With a mother who’s the definition of toxic, and a thirteen-year-old half-sister with a finely honed bartering system for drugs, sex, control. In a small, disturbed town, in which two little girls are murdered. There are no good women in SHARP OBJECTS. Camille, my narrator of whom I’m obsessively fond—she’s witty, self-aware, and buoyant—is the closest to “good.” And she uses booze, sex, and scissors to get through the day.

So SHARP OBJECTS is not a particularly flattering portrait of women, which is fine by me. Isn’t it time to acknowledge the ugly side? I’ve grown quite weary of the spunky heroines, brave rape victims, soul-searching fashionistas that stock so many books. I particularly mourn the lack of female villains—good, potent female villains. Not ill-tempered women who scheme about landing good men and better shoes (as if we had nothing more interesting to war over), not chilly WASP mothers (emotionally distant isn’t necessarily evil), not soapy vixens (merely bitchy doesn’t qualify either). I’m talking violent, wicked women. Scary women. Don’t tell me you don’t know some. The point is, women have spent so many years girl-powering ourselves—to the point of almost parodic encouragement—we’ve left no room to acknowledge our dark side. Dark sides are important. They should be nurtured like nasty black orchids. So SHARP OBJECTS was my creepy little bouquet.

grizzlyrun's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious sad tense fast-paced

hbreight's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced