The Best American Science Fiction and Fantasy 2015 by John Joseph Adams, Joe Hill

rodneywilhite's review

I was unexpectedly blown away by how consistent this anthology was. Recommended.

lizzderr's review

Lots of good stuff in this collection, with a few stories that didn't quite thrill me and/or just weren't quite for me. My favorites:
--Carmen Maria Machado, "Help Me Follow My Sister into the Land of the Dead"
--Sofia Samatar, "Ogres of East Africa"
--Theodora Goss, "Cimmeria: From the Journal of Imaginary Anthropology"
--Kelly Link, "I Can See Right Through You"
--A. Merc Rustad, "How to Become a Robot in 12 Easy Steps"

rkpress99's review

While all the stories were well-written, only a few stood out to me as exceptional. These were the stories from T. C. Boyle, Daniel Wilson, Neil Gaiman, Alaya Dawn Johnson, and Carmen Machado.

sisselh's review

dark emotional

sblue's review

As with most collections, I enjoyed a few stories and could have done without a few. There were a few that did not give me the sci-fi/fantasy feel, due to the wide consideration given by the editors. Without looking back over the titles, I would call "Skullpockets" my favorite.

lyrrael's review

I've actually been working on reading this one since January, and you know, I loved about 90% of the stories in this. That's really saying something -- I tend to not be much of a fan of short stories -- but the story curation on this one was superb.

dja777's review against another edition

Some very good stories in here, though if you prefer very technical science fiction, this might not be the collection for you. I particularly enjoyed: "How to Become a Robot in 12 Easy Steps" by A. Merc Rustad, "The Thing About Shapes to Come" by Adam-Troy Castro and "The Blue Afternoon That Lasted Forever" by Daniel H. Wilson.

reasie's review

There's not a bad story in the lot, and a few of them will haunt me for some time.

Damn it. :P

So now I gotta find the rest of these anthologies.

austinburns's review

some real stunners and only a couple of duds

dorhastings's review

So at some point last year, I visited my friend Carrie in San Fran and we visited an indie bookstore, because that's what we do. I wasn't going to buy anything. I picked this up and showed it to my friend, who skimmed the authors and recommended it. After reading hundreds of student papers, I both needed a break but also needed to read something worthwhile. Short stories sounded like a good plan, and I wasn't disappointed. Almost every author was new to me. The following were the ones that really struck me and make me want to read more about those authors. They are equal parts fantasy and science fiction, which is delightful, and I found myself not favoring one over the other.
-Carmen Maria Machado, "Help Me Follow My Sister into the Land of the Dead"
-Alaya Dawn Johnson, "A Guide to the Fruits of Hawai'i"; I would feel odd not having it on this list, and I'm not entirely sure why. Might be the main character?
-Seanan McGuire, "Each to Each"; quite fantastic
-Theodora Goss, "Cimmeria: From the Journal of Imaginary Anthropology"; alarming, but not really for the concept of imaginary anthropology, which is bizarre, I suppose.
-Jo Walton, "Sleeper"; this particular reading was fascinating
-Neil Gaiman, "How the Marquis Got His Coat Back"; a spinoff from Neverwhere
-Adam-Troy Castro, "The Thing About Shapes to Come; bizarre and delightful
-Daniel H. Wilson, "The Blue Afternoon That Lasted Forever"; Wilson also wrote Robopocalypse, which I don't remember liking all that much; this was my FAVORITE story in the whole book. I needed a break afterward.
-Kelly Sandoval, "The One They Took Before"; an interesting little read post-fey abduction (post-fey? current fey?)
-A. Merc Rustad, "How to Become a Robot in 12 Easy Steps"; feels a bit alternative in terms of all the lists and suchlike; it's a good ending to the series.

Yes, there were a handful of stories in the book I didn't like. Par for the course.