Wit - Acting Edition, by Margaret Edson

juliascott's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective sad fast-paced

thestoryshire's review against another edition

challenging emotional reflective sad medium-paced

jesssssbest's review against another edition

Idk how to feel...

cgcpoems's review against another edition

emotional funny tense fast-paced

I’m struggling to pinpoint how I feel about this play. I liked the surrounding details of it—the fact that the MC was a professor of John Donne’s work. The “Jason” character and his role in the plot. The brevity of it all. But at the same time, I didn’t feel very moved or emotionally affected in any way when I think that was the author’s intention. Perhaps that’s because I’ve never gone through a situation like this with anybody, or maybe that’s because the play itself is lacking in some way. I don’t know that I have an answer. I’d be interested to see this play performed and determine whether that fixes some of the “issues” I had with it.

gjpeace's review against another edition

Wish there was more Donne! Also feels like the secondary characters could use some more fleshing out…Regardless, the ending left me quite moved.

taffy_sea's review against another edition

4.5*? 5*? I’d love to see this performed. Hits home with staggering force. Brilliant.

tabithalay's review against another edition

I’m quite curious to see how this is performed on stage.

ben_smitty's review against another edition

One of my favorite plays! Wit deals with Professor Vivian Bearing's stoic attitude towards her cancer (and life) as it deteriorates into vulnerability that comes with the ever-increasing pain. During the play, the poetry of John Donne's "Death, be not proud" underlines the central issues of death, compassion, and the meaning of life. Prof. Bearing wrestles throughout with what "wit" or "wisdom" really means, and if one can know a lot and still be blind.

rtenn's review against another edition

fast-paced

hen518468's review against another edition

emotional funny reflective sad fast-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A