Christmasland, by Joe Hill

tilltab's review against another edition

adventurous dark hopeful sad tense medium-paced

wanderingthepage's review against another edition

4.75 stars - What a great read for Christmas week! I really enjoyed NOS4A2 way more than I anticipated.

mjcr1125's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring sad tense medium-paced

aaliviado's review against another edition

dark tense medium-paced

elfflame's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

kittyburritoland's review against another edition

3.5. Fell to a 3 about halfway through but recovered by the end. Good core story but it would really benefit from a good editing.

odangoatama's review against another edition

I really wanted to love this book!
I picked it up not knowing who Joe Hill was, or any of his work, but picking up this horror book and hearing of a creepy man stealing children to a nightmare version of Neverland sounded just up my alley!
But I found myself disconnected from the story just halfway through. I struggled through the middle but happily ended it, and found the overall story to be a fun ride. I can say that I wasn’t attached to the characters. They all seem like good hearted people, but I think I just didn’t have enough to be hooked into Vic like I should have been.
The opening chapters were so much fun! Totally sucked me in with Manx grabbing s nurse, while convincing others she’s crazy. And the ending was better than what I could have hoped for.

Overall it was a fun ride, but it was a long one, and dragged my feet half that time.
Will this stop me from exploring all of Joe Hills other works? Not a chance!

morganjanedavis's review against another edition

Absolutely my favorite read of 2021 so far. I cannot even begin to describe how obsessed I became with this story. The way Hill presents the characters and lets the story unfold is just as good as the intricate plot itself. I hate fantasy/sci-fi things most of the time. When I realized that this book wasn't classically paranormal that involves ghosts or demons I almost did not even consider it. I am SO HAPPY that I did. The plot kept me guessing up until the very end and there were multiple moments where I had to put the book down because it was so stressful. I hate rereading books but I am already planning to reread this book around Christmas time. If you have not read this book or if you were thinking about reading this book but you were on the fence, please do. If you're into horror/thriller stories please check this one out. LOVED.

survivalisinsufficient's review against another edition

Really 3.5 stars. I kind of wish I didn't know he was Stephen King's son, because I wonder if I would have seen the parallels in their writing styles otherwise. Anyway, it's a good supernatural thriller-type thing, and he's worth reading in his own right.

ascescke's review against another edition

This was a good book and quite unlike his father Stephen King. The ending was good and nothing too bogus happened.