Angelfall, by Susan Ee

keking's review against another edition

**4 stars**

Angelfall leads off with our heroine, Penryn, and her mother and sister making a desperate attempt to escape the condo they live in. Six weeks earlier, angels had come to Earth, bringing a wave of death and mass destruction. Penryn and her family come across a group of angels punishing another angel by cutting off his wings. Penryn interferes, but pays the price: her sister Paige is taken during the angels' retreat. Thus begins the journey to the angel stronghold; Penryn for her sister, and the angel, Raffe, for his wings.

Okay, so the premise sounds really unoriginal. Before reading this, it's easy to predict that the angel is called "hot" and "sexy" numerous times and falls in insta-love with Penryn. In a way...that's true. But this is so much more.

Raffe is strong, secretive, and NOT tripping over himself at the sight of Penryn. Penryn is a tough cookie, banding together with Raffe only as a means of finding and rescuing her sister. They take turns helping each other out, but only to advance their cause or prevent detection. As they make their way across California, they situations they face help the reader feel how they learn to rely on another. When it came time for the kiss, Ee wrote the scene perfectly. You'll see what I mean.

The mother is utterly insane and it is too easy to sympathize with Penryn when she is reluctant to see her. Paige goes from a feeble, disabled girl into something creepy as hell in a scene that's delightfully disturbing.

As for the plot, Ee took something decidedly trendy and gave it a creepy twist. Though you see bits and pieces of the twist in the beginning, the last 1/4 really takes the cake. Some may say it felt 'unnatural' in the story, but I say it was a welcome breath of fresh air. Being a self-published, self-edited debut, it is hard to criticize Ee's writing. It obviously isn't the best, but pointing out any flaws just feels like nitpicking to me. Ee did such a great job on her own that I cannot in good conscience complain.

The one flaw I will mention is the lack of information we receive. Although the angels don't know why they are on Earth, someone must have an idea. What was it like when they first came? Why was Uriel experimenting? What was he up to in general?? What is the divide between the different archangels/angels/demons? Et cetera. Most things we learn about the angels just add to the confusion. Maybe this is on purpose. Maybe Ee wants us to experience Earth from a human's point of view - becoming consistently more confused about what's going on. Maybe it was just a simple oversight. I hope she addresses this is further novels.

Summary
A strong debut that brings a welcome change to an oversaturated genre. The almost horror-like twist is refreshing. Limited background information leads the reader astray and sometimes, off a cliff. Regardless, I eagerly await the sequel.

nicki_has_thoughts's review against another edition

Enjoyable easy read

I enjoyed the fantasy of this book, and I will be interested to see where the story goes from here. I like Raffe and I'm a fan of Penryn.

idiotzone's review

Reread it after 7 years. Still holds up and I love it so much.

eithw's review against another edition

Jan 15 reread - 4 stars
I have read this series a couple of times before and there’s so much nostalgia in it that I enjoy it each time. Though now I can *really* tell that this is written with teenagers in mind but luckily I still enjoy it so much. My main complains are really just the teenager-ish language but I realize this is YA after all lol.

Original Rating - 5 stars

alex_nonymous's review against another edition

I was trying to think of a long reason to justify not liking this but then I remembered this one wasn't an ARC so I'm not obligated to write a thoughtful review so

I hate Penryn, she's the worst. (But I would have loved her in middle school so I get why this had a fanbase)

rks97's review against another edition

4.5 stars
I'm getting to that point, with books, where I am kind of over dystopian novels. Well, at least that's what I was saying until I read this book. In some ways, this follows a lot of tropes of your typical YA dystopian novel, a girl trying to save her sister who ends up with a companion she starts out hating but grows to enjoy his company. Yet, this was so different to every single book out there. The book was quite dark at times but those were the most enthralling scenes.

Our main character, Penryn, was great. It's impossible not to love her grit and determination. She was so realistically portrayed and I loved it. Her main focus throughout the book was that she wanted to save her sister, she isn't one of those characters that start out wanting to save the world. Her main focus was her sister and it was solely that throughout most of the book but we could see her resolve start to break near the end and we saw her realise she could be a part of something bigger, I thought this character development was done really well and slow enough too. Throughout a lot of the fight scenes Penryn had, whilst I was reading them, I really was waiting for Raffe to come and save her. Perhaps, that says something about me or YA books, I hope it's the latter. I can't think of many scenes where she was saved by Raffe but I can think of plenty where she saved him and I love that role reversal in this book!

Raffe was a great sidekick character, he provided wit and banter but he was quite stoic a lot of the times too which is totally expected from an archangel. My absolute favourite scene with Raffe was near the end where he
Spoilercouldn't pick up his
sword. Susan Ee was able to completely break my heart within a couple of sentences. I felt really bad for him towards the end and I hope things look up for him in the next book.

I hope more answers about the angels are revealed in the next book so roll on book 2!!

cjoy24's review against another edition

Wow is all I have to say in response to the amazing, thrilling, and chilling book that is Angelfall. Before Angelfall, I was never really a fan of angel books. I always found myself a little bored throughout the story, and not very intrigued. This book really opened my eyes to what an angel book has the potential to be. There never was a dull moment in this book, being filled with action, an amazing plot, likable characters, and a touch of romance that didn't overtake the main plot of the story. If you have no read this, I defiantly suggest it. Best angel book I have read so far.

sheepies's review against another edition

2.5 stars. not exactly bad, but not good lol. i feel like being a bit lenient with my judgement for this one simply because i am most definitely not the target audience !! listen, this did contain a lot of cringe, but i can’t be too mad because it feels like the book knows what it is; it’s short and simple, to the point in its linear style, not overly ambitious. idk i just can’t fault it too badly, somehow.

though i would still like to discuss the cringe :)

the characters are very boring. penryn is ‘badass’ and nothing else. raffe is pretty and nothing else (raffe is a cute name, though). so of course, wtf was that relationship ??? nearly instant, absolutely zero reason to like each other, no decent character interactions … and of course he’s immortal and she’s a teenager T-T … at least make her like 20 damn ! oh and obviously he’s never fallen for anyone before her. please. the ‘cute’ moments just feel either odd, undeserved, or uncomfortable. ok but let’s be honest, anything involving angels is bound to be indulgent and tropey like that so i’m not even mad lmao. i never had a deviant art angel oc phase so i can’t relate is all.

someone pls tally how many times penryn would look at raffe like “damn he’s pretty” always followed by “no … just another reminder of how they’re not human …” so repetitive and dramatic lol.

that scene where everyone (mostly grown men) just lets this military guy basically assault penryn to blow off steam, and everyone takes bets on their fight. dude shes like 5’2 and a literal kid ?? WEIRDDD what the fuck was that! maybe as a young teenager i would have felt satisfaction in seeing her win, but as an adult im only uncomfortable with how all those adults just let that happen like it’s normal looool. again, not the target audience i guess

anyways.
- angel politics: weird
- world building: unremarkable
- plot: near nonexistent. raffe knows everything but he’s like no i’m not telling you
- gore: surprisingly metal ! did not expect it to go that hard so that was nice
- emotional value: none at all

will continue on in this series only if i want something short and quick to bump my read count heh -u-

gabiscosta's review against another edition

É como eu sempre digo: Leiam Angelfall

vodaas's review against another edition

Astounding! Breathtaking! Enthralling! All these thoughts run though my mind as I think of a way to describe this book. The author grabs you from the very moment the book starts. You are drawn into a world that is destroyed and struggling to survive. Immediately the reader feels an instant connection with Penryn and her family...a handicapped younger sister and a clinically insane mother. Susan does not waste any time bringing the reader into the action as there is an attempt to flee the original hiding spot to find safer ground when an encounter with angels ensues.

There is definitely not a lack in action and each chapter ends with a cliffhanger. I devoured this book within days as my schedule would permit and anxiously look forward to the second installment. I can only imagine how the story will continue to unfold as the reader willingly follows along!