Vicious, by V.E. Schwab

theapie's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

SpoilerLoved reading Victor and his gang's chapters, and hated Eli's. Maybe Victor is supposed to be the protagonist between the two, but I wish Eli was more 'loveable' so that the reader would feel more torn.
Other than that, I enjoyed this a lot 👌🏼

ink11's review against another edition

Review on my blog: Vicious

This book has been on my tbr since months! and I don't think I would've picked it anytime soon was it not for my entire squad suddenly reading this.
(You know who you are

sophieperci's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense fast-paced

reviewsbyaqueerwomen's review

adventurous dark medium-paced

laviestlivre's review against another edition

3,5/5

Comment définir cette lecture? J'ai adoré les premières pages, je me suis tout de suite plongée dans l'histoire. Le fait que cela se passe en partie à l'université avec des personnages autour de la vingtaine, les théories psychologiques et le côté mystérieux/scientifique m'ont beaucoup plu.

Cependant, plus j'avançais dans ma lecture et plus je me sentais perdue. Je m'attendais à mieux comprendre ce qui a poussé les deux personnages à se haïr tellement, j'aurais aimé pouvoir être époustouflée par la fin et sortir de cette lecture en me disant : wow. Ce ne fût pas le cas.

L'autrice a le mérite d'avoir crée une ambiance très bien construite et très sombre (qui au début m'intriguait mais qui au final m'a plutôt fait me sentir mal) et d'avoir su titiller mon intérêt pour deux personnages secondaires.

Je dirais que cette lecture fut une bonne expérience, c'était chouette de découvrir un style dont je n'ai pas l'habitude de lire, de me plonger dans quelque chose de particulier et c'est aussi ce genre d'évènement qui me rappelle ce que je recherche vraiment dans mes romans!

ladylegerwood's review against another edition

I enjoyed this book - the way it was written, the timeline, the characters, the abilities, the mythos, the background etc ... but I was a little underwhelmed by it. Why? Lemme tell you:

I didn't believe in Eli and Victor's friendship. They were roommates? Sure. But I didn't feel that they were best friends. There wasn't ... that something there. And so, because I couldn't believe that they were anything more than casual acquaintances thrown together by circumstance, I didn't understand the depth of the enmity between the two of them.

And because I couldn't understand that, the entire of the plot of the book lacked a certain je ne sais quoi.

But other than that ... this book was excellently written, gripping, and raised several interesting questions regarding morality and what truly makes us monsters.

itsallnovel's review against another edition

So I really loved the writing style but sadly I did not like this book. I loved the writing and plot and descriptions but the characters fell flat for me.. I felt this same way about steal heart by Brandon Sanderson so I'm thinking maybe I just don't like superhero books? I'm very upset that I could not enjoy this book. I want to read ADSOM next and see if maybe I don't like Victoria's adult books? I was so excited to read this one because the archived is one of my favorites but I was sadly disappointed..

literarypostcards's review against another edition

I was wary of the subject matter (EOs), but Victoria Schwab is one of my favorite authors and so I knew I was going to read this at some point. I just had to trust her and have faith that what she would serve would be wonderful and delicious. I’m very glad that I did because I love it.

If I can just take a minute to explain how to properly write a “character driven” story:

Make their personality and character development an integral piece of the plot.

That’s it.

That’s what Schwab does here - and in everything I’ve read by her.

Victor and Eli (and every other character honestly) are fully formed and their motivations are what drive the plot forward. Eli wants to wipe out EOs (other than himself because he’s not like other boys), and Victor wants to wipe out Eli.

The characters in this book drive the plot forward and the pacing is just right and I honestly could not find fault. It’s not too long, not too short. Left me wanting more but also feeling satisfied. Loved it. Just loved it.

bookish_heidi's review against another edition

What an exceptionally well written novel. Unique characters and plot. I could have read the entire thing in one sitting had I had the time. I definitely recommend this to all!

kalimanjara's review against another edition

talanted, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show-stopping, spectacular, never the same, totally unique