Reviews tagging Injury/injury detail

Vicious, by V.E. Schwab

tinylittlerat's review against another edition

dark tense slow-paced

really didn’t like this book, entire book leads up to the end which was mediocre at best and didn’t meet my expectations at all and was just bad. the book is just two white boys being superhero’s - but they’re edgy so they’re actually sooo cool - and them just indirectly fighting each other, the side characters are also white and one of them is a tween girl who is basically being groomed by the main character. this book left no impression that it wasn’t a stand alone and when i found out i was surprised, if the first book was this crappy how bad is the second one, i decided to not read the sequel for exactly this reason and am better off for it. VE Schwab has been so hyped up on social media but her books are just so white and boring, i don’t know why so many people enjoy reading them.  the characters leave no impression and i couldn’t even remember what the plot was while i was reading it.

dreammetheworld's review against another edition

too triggering

goosegame's review against another edition

dark tense fast-paced

Both main characters are awful and I love them.

alexiab's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

This book was, in a word, intense.

It’s probably the darkest story I’ve read in a while. it’s unsettling and gruesome and yet intriguing as all hell. I couldn’t stop reading it. I had to know what was going to happen.

I absolutely love the way VE Schwab gets inside a characters mind and breaks down who they are. Most of these characters are absolute monsters, and yet there is something underneath each of them that’s understandable, that almost makes you want to sympathize with their perspective. Which is bat shit insane? They’re monsters?! but I think it adds to the magic of this storytelling.

I spent the majority of my reading this book warring between being horrified at how gruesome the story could be and absolutely loving the chaos and unravelling of the story. I think that speaks to very good writing, to be able to have the WORST characters and still keep the reader enthralled.

I’m only taking off half a star because I don’t know if this is the kind of book I could read again. But I don’t think it’s intended to be a frequent visit kind of story, so that’s not the book’s fault.

vrinny's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

jehansflowers's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny fast-paced

GOOD SHIT

corabookworm's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional inspiring sad tense fast-paced

characters - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
plot - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
writing - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

deadpoetsam's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

alice000's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced

katreadswaytoomuch's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

A fantastic evolution from YA fantasy to Adult Fantasy!

Little to no focus on romance

We love a morally grey character, but Victor is as grey as they come. Everything is a means to an end and something or someone has value based on how useful they are to him. It’s incredible to watch his mind work.

There’s also some really great ethical questions posed around self-awareness and humanity. Some of the observation were really clever.

And the last chapter was just 😆😆😆❤️❤️❤️ icing on the cake

Please look up the potential triggers for this book. I’ll include a list below that I noticed because I’ll admit I struggled with some of the violence in this

SpoilerI will be honest. It’s really hard being surprised by death when there’s a character who can revive the dead. There. I said it. Unfortunately I think that really took away from the oh no they’re dead factor because it was established pretty early on in the book, but it’s still there like, “oh no can she not do it this time for some reason”