Reviews tagging Gore

Vicious, by V.E. Schwab

joakley101's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

Love me a good villainous protagonist. But Eli can choke.

nat_the_rat's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

alexiab's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

This book was, in a word, intense.

It’s probably the darkest story I’ve read in a while. it’s unsettling and gruesome and yet intriguing as all hell. I couldn’t stop reading it. I had to know what was going to happen.

I absolutely love the way VE Schwab gets inside a characters mind and breaks down who they are. Most of these characters are absolute monsters, and yet there is something underneath each of them that’s understandable, that almost makes you want to sympathize with their perspective. Which is bat shit insane? They’re monsters?! but I think it adds to the magic of this storytelling.

I spent the majority of my reading this book warring between being horrified at how gruesome the story could be and absolutely loving the chaos and unravelling of the story. I think that speaks to very good writing, to be able to have the WORST characters and still keep the reader enthralled.

I’m only taking off half a star because I don’t know if this is the kind of book I could read again. But I don’t think it’s intended to be a frequent visit kind of story, so that’s not the book’s fault.

courtneycanread's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense fast-paced

I took half a star because I have a small problem with how conveniently one specific part of this book worked out.

Otherwise a very quick and thrilling and sometimes gory ride! Eli and Victor are best friends who begin to study the possible existence of EO’s (ExtraOrdinaries, people with special abilities after suffering a near death experience) in their last year of university. When they decide to become their own test subjects the line between good and evil and god and man becomes harder to see. In this book you’ll find that it’s easier to root for the lesser of two evils. Can’t wait to see where book two takes us.

corabookworm's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional inspiring sad tense fast-paced

characters - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
plot - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
writing - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

madisonham's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark tense fast-paced

dailyroan's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

Ending was a little bit predictable but not until you learn more about the characters and what is about to happen. So the ending was a little bit of a let down, but! I am still excited for the second book and it was still an awesome read. Really good and refreshing from my normal choice of genre.

pinkhyxteria's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

gperna01's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

katreadswaytoomuch's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

A fantastic evolution from YA fantasy to Adult Fantasy!

Little to no focus on romance

We love a morally grey character, but Victor is as grey as they come. Everything is a means to an end and something or someone has value based on how useful they are to him. It’s incredible to watch his mind work.

There’s also some really great ethical questions posed around self-awareness and humanity. Some of the observation were really clever.

And the last chapter was just 😆😆😆❤️❤️❤️ icing on the cake

Please look up the potential triggers for this book. I’ll include a list below that I noticed because I’ll admit I struggled with some of the violence in this

SpoilerI will be honest. It’s really hard being surprised by death when there’s a character who can revive the dead. There. I said it. Unfortunately I think that really took away from the oh no they’re dead factor because it was established pretty early on in the book, but it’s still there like, “oh no can she not do it this time for some reason”