Reviews tagging Religious bigotry

Vicious, by V.E. Schwab

viltescer's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

vrinny's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

deadpoetsam's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

pinkhyxteria's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

katreadswaytoomuch's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

A fantastic evolution from YA fantasy to Adult Fantasy!

Little to no focus on romance

We love a morally grey character, but Victor is as grey as they come. Everything is a means to an end and something or someone has value based on how useful they are to him. It’s incredible to watch his mind work.

There’s also some really great ethical questions posed around self-awareness and humanity. Some of the observation were really clever.

And the last chapter was just 😆😆😆❤️❤️❤️ icing on the cake

Please look up the potential triggers for this book. I’ll include a list below that I noticed because I’ll admit I struggled with some of the violence in this

SpoilerI will be honest. It’s really hard being surprised by death when there’s a character who can revive the dead. There. I said it. Unfortunately I think that really took away from the oh no they’re dead factor because it was established pretty early on in the book, but it’s still there like, “oh no can she not do it this time for some reason”

katiedykema's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

This book exceeded my expectations. I’ve always been a fan of V.E. Schwab but I can’t believe I didn’t read this sooner. The complexity of the characters’ motivations led to a very interesting plot that kept me engaged. I was at first worried about how the book was organized (there are many jumps forward and back in time) but it ended up being the perfect way to tell the story. To be organized, I’m going to split the rest of this into a review of what I did like and didn’t like.

What I liked:
- The relationship between Victor and Eli. From school roommates (with very homoerotic undertones) to rivals in a very short amount of time, this character relationship was always slightly competitive and hinted at further trouble from very early on.
- The religious undertones added to the story and Eli’s motivation, also making the story even darker than it already was.
- Serena. She was an amazing character regardless of if she was a good or bad person. Her relationship with Eli reminded me a lot of Piper and Colin Greenmantle from The Raven Cycle series by Maggie Steifvater. Serena was really the one in control the entire time.
- The pacing was fast enough to keep the story entertaining without skipping over important details.
- Who is really the bad guy? Both main characters are bad people. This makes the story intriguing and thought-provoking.

What I didn’t like:
- This should have been a standalone. I have yet to read the sequel, but I am sad to see that this story may end up being drawn out more than it should.
- The lack of explanation about EOs. In this universe, it seems that everyone simply understands what EOs are, even without it being explained to the reader. This is difficult because up until realizing that everyone in the universe knew what they were, I had assumed that this universe was simply a mirror of real life, not a place where EOs are often discussed.
- Serena and Sydney’s background should have been given more time in the book. I still have trouble understanding why Serena was able to turn on Sydney so quickly when it seemed like they had been close.
- Very graphic. More of a personal issue with the book than an issue with the writing.

As you can tell, the pros of this book FAR outweigh the cons. This book was amazing and I hope the sequel is as well.

ornebbn's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

sydney: i am NOT homophobic! in fact, i have two gay dads !

applesaucemaybegood's review against another edition

mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

meganparfitt's review

adventurous dark tense slow-paced

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, the characters were well developed and I love the
Spoiler found family aspect
. The time jump style of the book was so fun and different
Spoiler I loved how the past and present story all linked up to finish the story
with the amazing ending which left me screaming at all the pieces slotting together it was excellent craftsmanship. I am excited for the next book!

rottendollparts's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny tense fast-paced