Reviews tagging Body horror

Vicious, by V.E. Schwab

alexiab's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

This book was, in a word, intense.

It’s probably the darkest story I’ve read in a while. it’s unsettling and gruesome and yet intriguing as all hell. I couldn’t stop reading it. I had to know what was going to happen.

I absolutely love the way VE Schwab gets inside a characters mind and breaks down who they are. Most of these characters are absolute monsters, and yet there is something underneath each of them that’s understandable, that almost makes you want to sympathize with their perspective. Which is bat shit insane? They’re monsters?! but I think it adds to the magic of this storytelling.

I spent the majority of my reading this book warring between being horrified at how gruesome the story could be and absolutely loving the chaos and unravelling of the story. I think that speaks to very good writing, to be able to have the WORST characters and still keep the reader enthralled.

I’m only taking off half a star because I don’t know if this is the kind of book I could read again. But I don’t think it’s intended to be a frequent visit kind of story, so that’s not the book’s fault.

vrinny's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

pinkhyxteria's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

katiedykema's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

This book exceeded my expectations. I’ve always been a fan of V.E. Schwab but I can’t believe I didn’t read this sooner. The complexity of the characters’ motivations led to a very interesting plot that kept me engaged. I was at first worried about how the book was organized (there are many jumps forward and back in time) but it ended up being the perfect way to tell the story. To be organized, I’m going to split the rest of this into a review of what I did like and didn’t like.

What I liked:
- The relationship between Victor and Eli. From school roommates (with very homoerotic undertones) to rivals in a very short amount of time, this character relationship was always slightly competitive and hinted at further trouble from very early on.
- The religious undertones added to the story and Eli’s motivation, also making the story even darker than it already was.
- Serena. She was an amazing character regardless of if she was a good or bad person. Her relationship with Eli reminded me a lot of Piper and Colin Greenmantle from The Raven Cycle series by Maggie Steifvater. Serena was really the one in control the entire time.
- The pacing was fast enough to keep the story entertaining without skipping over important details.
- Who is really the bad guy? Both main characters are bad people. This makes the story intriguing and thought-provoking.

What I didn’t like:
- This should have been a standalone. I have yet to read the sequel, but I am sad to see that this story may end up being drawn out more than it should.
- The lack of explanation about EOs. In this universe, it seems that everyone simply understands what EOs are, even without it being explained to the reader. This is difficult because up until realizing that everyone in the universe knew what they were, I had assumed that this universe was simply a mirror of real life, not a place where EOs are often discussed.
- Serena and Sydney’s background should have been given more time in the book. I still have trouble understanding why Serena was able to turn on Sydney so quickly when it seemed like they had been close.
- Very graphic. More of a personal issue with the book than an issue with the writing.

As you can tell, the pros of this book FAR outweigh the cons. This book was amazing and I hope the sequel is as well.

whatellisreadnext's review

adventurous dark funny mysterious tense fast-paced

224ok's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

cristinaa's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

The best read to start fall with.
The psychopaths in this book are TOP TIER 👑

liveryaya's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

claudiaa's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

ettic's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious sad tense fast-paced

Wow! I thought I would DNF this but this blew my expectations out of the water, Victor became such a compelling character and I absolutely love Sydney and Mitch! Amazing worldbuilding and compelling characters, I honestly don't know how Schwab will continue this in Vengeful but I'm very excited to find out!