Fire Logic: An Elemental Logic Novel, by Laurie J. Marks

snowbenton's review against another edition

I put this down for a week and had zero desire to pick it back up. It was so boring. What kind of fantasy can possible draw you in when it starts with a bang, then the next part is nine years later, the next is six years later, and the next is a new character? I had hoped for some romance, but Zanja and Karis were immediately separated.

Abandoned at 31%.

calamityphysics's review against another edition

I loved everything about this. The sapphic longing, the world building, the characters, the beautiful way all of it was spun together. It felt like a totally lived in world with its own rules and politics and history, not just Europe with some magic slapped on top of it. Please for the love of God read this if you want a found family fantasy with not a heterosexual in sight.

silodear's review against another edition

A truly lovely vacation read.

annarella's review against another edition

I cannot say if I liked this book or not.
It found it fascinating and a bit dull at the same time.
The writing is ok, there's a great world building but the characters are sometimes a bit confusing.
Many thanks to Small Beer Press and Edelweiss for this ARC

futurememory's review against another edition

It's done, and boy, do I have thoughts.

Let's talk about what Fire Logic does that's pretty great, because there's a lot of it. Marks puts together a society where gender, sexuality, and personal identity are unimportant. Women and men rule equally, no sex is better than the other, no sexual preference is the default. Discrimination along these lines simply doesn't exist in Shaftal, and that alone is startlingly refreshing.

I also enjoyed the sense of community in the novel, and the creative take on elemental affinities and powers. The writing is pretty utilitarian, but very adequate, and does a fairly decent job of conveying all the relevant information to the reader.

To get to the negatives: the middle of the novel dragged far too much, and could have probably been cut in half. There were several points that I felt like putting down the novel and walking away from it. I'm no stranger to slow-moving novels. I actually enjoy them quite frequently. But this was glacial. The world building was frustratingly slow. The characters were a bit too flat, written with not enough of a spark. I found myself not caring for their exhaustive plights and tribulations.

There's also a tremendous amount of instalove here. Like, a lot. Most of the characters. It's a trope that I really don't like, and it cheapens realistic feelings and emotions between the people involved.

I'm not against reading the next book in the series, but it probably won't be for a while.

readerpants's review against another edition

Hmm, took me a bit to get into it -- I found it a little earnestly preachy in a "the moral of this story is..." way, and I have many questions about the worldbuilding -- but once I did I was absorbed! Checked out the second one from the library right away before I forgot the details in the first. Bumped up a half star for the found family and queernormative world. Definitely in the Delia Sherman / Ellen Kushner style of progressive white lady fantasy, felt like it came from the late 90s/early 00s in an enjoyable way.

adelejac85's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful medium-paced

rachelini's review against another edition

I felt like this took a while to gel, but I liked where it landed.

saelrod's review against another edition

adventurous challenging slow-paced

ecsun345's review against another edition

Not bad
I think the writing was very good

Some interesting topics discussed in here

But I really liked the plot ; )