The Cybernetic Tea Shop, by Meredith Katz

sapphuela's review against another edition

Absolutely gorgeous sapphic cozy book. Read in one sitting, cried, and am now in love.

teenytinytina's review against another edition

adventurous lighthearted fast-paced

Cute story! Would have liked to learn more about the characters; it sometimes feels like things happen because the plot said so, not because something about the character (motivations, experience together, etc) pushed events to occur. More show, not tell. Still, enjoyed the quick read even if it was predictable.

cybersuccubus's review against another edition

This is such an adorable and wholesome read! I would love to read a continuation of Sal and Clara's story, and see the character development for both women.

eloise_bradbooks's review

Adorably perfect.

silvae's review

TW: Xenophobia, grief

I am incredibly far behind on my GR reviews, so this review may not be as detailed (or coherent) as I want it to be. I have very fond memories of reading this story - it's lighthearted and comforting while still holding a lot of emotional depth. The themes discussed (grief, figuring out where you stand in your own life, and opening up a space in both of these unsteady feelings to another person) will probably strike a chord with most people. I especially enjoyed Sal, not just as a character but also as a rather unique AI in a sea of other AI characters in current science fiction literature. She isn't preoccupied with the question of "How can I become human?" that many of her literary siblings get caught up in, but instead has a storyline centered around deep love, growth, grief and acceptance. I loved the different layers of love Katz showed us in this novella, and the immense amount of trust these characters build over time. Did I mention we have a sapphic ace protagonist? AH!!

This is a story I'll surely revisit again and again - it feels like a big woolen blanket, a steaming mug of your favorite tea and the gentle company of friends on a glum day.

korunicorn's review against another edition

relaxing fast-paced

iamhere's review against another edition

hopeful reflective medium-paced

omara's review against another edition

hopeful lighthearted reflective relaxing fast-paced

silvern's review against another edition

challenging medium-paced

I enjoyed most of it, but the ending fell a bit flat for me.

the_vegan_bookworm's review against another edition

emotional reflective fast-paced

This book is such a cute sapphic love story with great asexual representation. I see why this story was so highly recommended to me.