Royal Street, by Suzanne Johnson

imjustcupcake's review against another edition

This book was interesting. There were quite a few plot twists throughout the story, so you never could tell exactly where it was going.

However, some parts of the story seemed a bit slow. I always found myself putting the book down during those times and never really wanting to return to it, thus making the time to read this book longer.

My favorite character by far was Jean Lafitte. Then again, who doesn't love dead pirates?

booksinastorm's review against another edition

mage_cat's review against another edition

This novel does a decent job of capturing New Orleans and what things were like in the aftermath of Katrina. Some of the magical world-building is interesting. The characters, however, feel flat to me, making this something of a slog to read.

firesoulbird's review

This is a pretty typical Urban Fantasy. Wizard cop is forced to work with a jerk who later turns out to not be actually as much as jerk. We have the set up for a love triange or possibly even an Anita Blake situation. Not to say this didn't have any interesting ideas - the different magic congresses and the Historical Undead. So I'll give the second book a shot to see if gets better. (The ratings on goodreads improve, but perhaps that is self selection)

hazel_reads's review

DJ is a sentinel for New Orleans. She is a Green Congress wizard. Not much physical magic, but good with potions. She takes care of preternaturals that come over from Beyond, and sends them back. News of Hurricane Katrina has everyone rattled. DJ must evacuate with everyone else in case the worst happens, that way there will be a sentinel left to come back and clean up any magical messes if the need arises. I really liked this book! Very fast paced and fun.

suzjustsuz's review

Competent, if suffering from a love triangle. I'll probably read more of these but I find that there are new releases I've been waiting for that I want to read more than the next one of these.

So, maybe later.

crackercrumblife's review

I also have a thing for books that are set in New Orleans~it is my favorite city to visit by far, and sometimes I dream about living there. I have a good friend who grew up in and lived in New Orleans until about 8 years ago, and I ask her about it every chance I get without bugging her too much. She puts up with me though. This book got my attention because on our honeymoon, my husband and I stayed on Royal Street. Then I saw that the book takes place before/during Hurricane Katrina. I was in New Orleans with my family a week before the hurricane hit - in fact my brother got an eye ulcer while we were there, and if it hadn't gotten better, we would have been there during the hurricane. My father went back down with the Red Cross as a volunteer as well. I just feel a huge connection to the city. It was also a little strange to read it when I did, because of Hurricane Isaac and its threat to the city. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will all be ok down there. The parts in this book that dealt with the destruction and despair that the hurricane were moving.

So, now that you know my life history ~ I thought this book was entertaining. Johnson made up some of her own rules regarding ghosts, and they worked for me. Sometimes they don't for me, like the shiny vampires in Twilight. Johnson created this world where famous ghosts can exist as long as people still talk about them and remember them. I think this was a way to get famous New Orleans ghosts like Marie Laveau, Louis Armstrong, and Jean Lafitte to be characters in her story. At first I was skeptical of this device, but then it grew on me and I liked it.

This book reminded me a bit of the Harry Dresden series, and while I liked Royal Street, it is not quite as good as Jim Butcher's books. But this is the first book I have read in the series, and I think it has potential. I do plan on reading the next in the series, River Road in the future. Royal Street was just a fun read with ghosts and wizards, in my favorite city.

athomewithabook's review

adventurous funny mysterious fast-paced

vkemp's review

Drusilla Jaco is a sentinel in training in New Orleans. She spends a lot of time doing minor potion mixing and pixie retrieval until Katrina hits New Orleans; her mentor and trainer goes missing and, suddenly, the Council of Elders is worried about a rift in the time/space continuum allowing incursions from the fae community. The undead pirate, Jean Lafitte, has made it his business to make Drusilla's life difficult and the Elders have sent along a sexy, grenade-toting assassin to help her search for the missing wizard. I will be interested to see where the series goes from here.

cate22's review

I love the premise of this book. The idea of the Beyond where most of the magical races and historical undead lived was very intriguing. There are so many different characters yhat could show up. I liked Louis Armstrong and Jean Lafitte. I liked DJ. She wasn't afraid to be afraid. I really want to read the next book.