We All Have Our Secrets, by Jane Corry

iqra1704's review

mysterious tense slow-paced

scarlett_rudd's review

mysterious medium-paced

an interesting read with small plot twists and a happy ending but nothing to rave about

vickksx's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

amandaj's review

mysterious sad fast-paced

I found this to be an enjoyable read, I turned the pages quickly wanting to know the truth.  The book could of finished a few chapters earlier, the ending went on a bit too much for me.

I enjoyed the storyline, and the characters seemed to be well developed.  The chapters were short and left me wanting to read more each time.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.

13rebecca13's review

emotional hopeful mysterious fast-paced

I love a domestic thriller and Jane Corry writes them very well. I've always enjoyed her books and We All Have Our Secrets is no exception.

The novel is told from the points of view of Emily and Françoise. Emily is a midwife in her mid-thirties and following a mistake at work, she is suspended and decides to go back to stay with her elderly father for a while whilst she waits for an inquest.

When she arrives at Willowmead House, her childhood home, she is surprised to find Francoise, a French woman in her twenties, looking after her father. Harold Gentle had put an ad out for a carer.

The two women have a problem with each other from the beginning. Emily thinking that Françoise is there to extort her old father for money and Françoise thinking that Emily does not appreciate all that she has. Both women and Harold himself all have secrets that they are keeping from each other. After Harold's death, there is a lot to uncover.

Corry writes twists very well and this book kept me guessing throughout. I love how fleshed out the characters are, especially Nick's son Billy and his little facts. A great read!

bookwormellie's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious reflective sad medium-paced

gimmebooksjoanna's review

dark mysterious fast-paced

clotalksbooks's review

challenging emotional reflective sad slow-paced

Firstly thank you very much to the author and Penguin for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book takes you on a real journey, with your loyalties and opinions shifting every couple of chapters. As you get to know the characters, their pains, loves, and wants, I was changing my viewpoint. I enjoyed the switching point of views as well, as it really added texture and made you interpret the same events in different ways just like the characters. I was never sure which characters I liked or sympathised with, and this changed frequently!

I thought at first this was going to be purely a thriller, but it is so much more than that. Family and what this means to different people is a strong theme. Also the affects of war through the generations. Some passages are really moving and emotional. It makes you question what you would do/think/say in similar situations.

There are so many facets to this story, and it spans genres with something for lots of different people to enjoy, e.g. history, romance, thriller, crime. The chapters are short too meaning I felt like I was whizzing through it. Very good book, though the ending parts didn't feel as structured as the rest of the book.

vendija_'s review

dark mysterious sad tense slow-paced

1.5

Emily is a midwife, who made a mistake. Running away from her problems, she goes to her father's house, which is her safe place, or so she thought. When she knocks on the 93 year old Harold's door, she's met face to face with Françoise, who is her father's care taker.
Both women already don't get along from the moment they met, but it all seems to get worse when they are suspicious of each others activities. And this is where the good part in book ends.
'till Harold dies author has left reader to guess what actually happened, did anyone kill him or was it a natural death. But let me tell you, the ending of the book is so disappointing, that I actually wish that one of the sisters would have killed their father, just for the sake of it because it would have made more sense. And Emily getting back together with her high school sweetheart? Really? I feel like the author got bored or didn't have enough time to properly finish the book, so she just wrote something so you could say that the book is finished.

What started off so well and interesting, ended in a disppointment. :(

coramcq's review

This kept me guessing as I wasn't quite sure who to believe/trust as the book went on. There were also interesting observations about the effects of war, not just on the soldier but across generations.

All in all another great read from Jane Corry and all tied up nicely in the ending.

My thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC of this book in return for an honest review.