The Sun Is Also a Star, by Nicola Yoon

dmantonya's review

Daniel, a Korean, is supposed to have an interview toward being accepted into Yale. He has all morning to prepare. The only tasks he has to do first is take a money bag to his dad and get a haircut. When he is on the train to town someone tells him "You will find God if you look for him." This sticks with him as he gets off the train. The second character is Natasha, a Jamaican, whose family is supposedly to be deported that night. And the rest of the story is about their day with many ups and downs.

lgutierrez's review

Natasha and Daniel are interesting, round characters who are complete opposites of one another. Natasha is a pessimistic illegal immigrant who is about to be deported and Daniel is an optimistic Korean-American who is fighting his parents' expectations that he must become a doctor and go to an Ivy League school. They serendipitously meet one day due to a set of strange circumstances and this sets off a chain of events that changes them and those around them.

rim's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

crlyhairedbibliophile's review against another edition

This was fast but sweet read that felt timely given the current political climate. Similar to Everything, Everything, I appreciated the overall structure and how it read - specifically the change in perspectives and how everyone and everything seemed to be intertwined. As much as the relationship between Natasha and Daniel was the main focus, their individual issues felt just as prominent. I enjoyed following them and watching them grow, both as individuals and as a unit. I felt their inner struggles and was happy to see them resolved, even if not completely, by the end.

I’ve noticed small details here and there that seem to have changed for the movie, but I’m still excited to see how some of my favorite moments play out on screen.

mackenzieereads's review

4.75 // THIS. BOOK. WAS. PHENOMENAL. Honestly, I'm having a hard time finding the words to describe my feelings about this book, but i'll give it my best shot.

The Beginning: I have to admit, I wasn't sucked into The Sun Is Also a Star right away. In the first 30-40 pages, I was feeling rather "meh." It could be because I'd just finished reading The Assassin's Blade, which is packed full of action, or it could be because I had such high expectations after reading Everything, Everything - who knows. The plot was a little slow-moving, but I suppose it was understandable because the characters needed to be introduced. Nevertheless, those first few chapters are the reason why I'm not giving this book full stars.

The Middle: After the 45-50 page mark, oh boy, I was obsessed. I fell in love with the characters; I adored the little chapters dedicated to explaining minor characters and how their day affected the day of the main character, or the chapters meant to explain certain subjects (for example, how eyes work); I also was sort of head-over-heels for Daniel and his poetry. Plus, I thought it was interesting how, despite the fact that this book only takes place over the course of one day, nothing seemed too insta-lovey. It was simply perfect. I really, truly cannot convey to you how perfect it was.

The End: This was the part that I both anticipated and dreaded. On one hand, I needed to know how it ended. On the other, I knew that once I finished it, I'd have to wait a while for Nicola Yoon to write another book. So, my feelings were controversial, to say the least. While I liked the way it ended in a way that is super amazing and made my heart melt, I'm also dying to know more about Daniel and Natasha - what happened after the dramatic ending? It's hurting my heart to think about.

So, to sum it up, this book was flawless despite it's (very few) flaws. I wish I could just give everyone a copy of this novel and tell them to read it, and to read it now. It surpassed my expectations and quite frankly, I'm in love. My final takeaway is: Nicola Yoon is amazing and I worship her.

readwithchar's review

A book by an author of different ethnicity to you ✔

lifeinfiction's review against another edition

Basically read this in a day and loved every word.

booksbytiiz's review

I liked it. It had some exciting parts. But it also was too close to unbelievable and ridiculous how the storyline went so it could have impressed me more.

kristinjaques's review

I loved this story of this book; I loved how the characters met and their interactions. However, I could have done with less swearing (particularly the f-word) and innuendos in this book.

alittlehaze's review against another edition

Didn't we almost have it all???

I HEAR YA WHITNEY!!!!!!!

This book COULD have had it all. Nicola Yoon once again showed that she has wonderful ideas with a lovely way of writing her books. There were the hot topics of immigration and of racism. There were moments of parental depression. There was talk of personal rebellion. There were beautiful moments of self acceptance. There was a wonderfully diverse cast of characters.
There was sooooooo much potential.

But!!! What happened??????
Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda.
These topics and characters were drowned by so much sugary sweet syrup that this book turned into yet another hackneyed, overly clichéd YA contemporary.

Flat characters, unrealistic love story laden with too many ridiculous cliches... I could have maybe bought it if the characters had described it as more insta-like. Honestly do not talk about love within 2 seconds of meeting someone please.

Okay so having a book heavy on the diversity factor gets you brownie points BUT it only goes so far. Please next time have a little more grit. I'm not looking for death and destruction. I just need a little less sugar. I mean books like this one will only make our teeth rot!!!!!

Less simply mentioning the buzz worry themes and more exploration of them please. DEPTH!!!!! This was all so shallow. Please dear Nicola Yoon, you have the talent to craft interesting stories. Next time take those beautiful ideas of yours and go diving in the deep end with them, and both your plotlines and characters will be all the more richer for it.

One and a half stars