The Sun Is Also a Star, by Nicola Yoon

katelynnt56's review

I thought I would like this book more then I did. I enjoyed reading it up to about half way and then it turned into your typical love story. When I got to the end it was a huge let down of “really that’s how you’re going to end the book!?”. Was a quick read and entertaining at parts but I won’t be reading it again.

melirose1998's review against another edition

emotional inspiring lighthearted reflective fast-paced

korio's review

This one was just okay for me. It was fine. I read it in an afternoon. I didn't hate it. By tomorrow I will have forgotten it entirely. You know that type of book? I don't feel like I wasted my time on it, but I just closed it two seconds ago and already don't care about it anymore.

lovesophia's review

Re-read
This book was one of the first books I read with a story that takes place all in one day. The writing style is unlike anything I ever have seen before. This book is about love and hope and fate. This book includes love at first sight which I despise, but then I got to the epilogue and it was so beautiful and bittersweet. This book is a book I will always go back and read over and over again.

paytongoad's review

not a lot of words to say, just read it. spectacular. cried my eyes out at the end wow!!!

jena_mclean's review against another edition

emotional informative lighthearted medium-paced

thamarai's review against another edition

emotional hopeful slow-paced

brewtifulfiction's review

The Sun is Also a Star shows is truthful and raw at times, reminding us that there is still prejudice in the world that families do tend to be dysfunctional even when they don't mean to and gets us thinking is it better to go with our hearts or our heads in certain situations. What you are left with is a truly heart-warming story that will certainly stick with you long after you've finished reading.

katiemirren's review against another edition

funny hopeful sad fast-paced

bookgramer__'s review

I kid you not, YA and Romance are some of my least favourite genres (don't hate me, I'm just more of a thrillers and serial killer kinda girl). But this book! ❤️❤️❤️

I don't know what there is to not love about this book! The Sun Is Also a Star is wholly fictional, but the dynamic between logical science and math geek Natasha and sweetly sincere and poetic Daniel is inspired by Jamaican American author Nicola Yoon's own romantic history with her Korean American husband, David.

Yoon alternates POVs between the two leads and occasionally inserts other perspectives from supporting characters who intersect with Daniel and Natasha during their time together. Those asides might have been a distraction, but they actually enhance and enrich the story and add layers to characterization. The side character POVs might just be the reason I loved this book on a wholly different level.