The Sun Is Also a Star, by Nicola Yoon

Eh.

lamisah's review

adventurous emotional inspiring medium-paced

erinashems's review

Daniel, a dreamer and a romantic, is having doubts about his Yale interview for a career path that was essentially chosen for him by his strict Korean parents. Natasha, a practical and logical black teen originally from Jamaica, is in downtown New York City for a different purpose, but like Daniel, one that will significantly affect her future and happiness.

When their paths cross, it is basically love at first sight - for Daniel, at least - and they spend the day together with Daniel trying to prove to the rational Natasha that love can be scientifically proven. But when Daniel discovers Natasha's true purpose for being downtown was to stop her family from being deported that night, the future the two of them imagined is challenged significantly.

This book is about fate and how our actions affect others. It has a wonderful way of fluidly bouncing between Natasha and Daniel's perspectives, while also adding tidbits of other minor characters' experiences. The way this story is told and wrapped up is truly beautiful, and literally gave me goosebumps, which is a rarity. Long story short, I basically believe in fate now because of this book.

kyv's review against another edition

emotional funny inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

nicole24's review

SO SO AMAZING!! so deep & touching. the ending is PERFECT!! set aside a big chunk of time because i guarantee you won't be able to put it down!!

hollieamber04's review

emotional lighthearted medium-paced

rukenonaygurbuz's review against another edition

emotional hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

klb72's review

17 year olds desperate and in love. It's so all consuming at that age hey? Neat twists with pressure of potential deportation, race, and bit characters who unexpectedly get their own tale and chapters breaking down a concept one of the main characters has mentioned in passing.

Extracts

[Following Natasha being delayed going through a metal detector by the guard, assuming to the guard she is just another anonymous face, another applicant] Natasha is is not at all correct about Irene. Irene loves her job. More than loves it - needs it. It's almost the sole human contact she has. It's the only thing keeping her total and desperate loneliness at bay. Every interaction with these applicants saves her life just a little.

[Daniel going to a uni admission related interview] Sure, I can be a little dramatic, but that's what it feels like. This train is a Magic F*ing Train speeding me from childhood (joy, spontaneity, fun) to adulthood (misery, predictability, absolutely no fun will be had by anyone).

I fall into that super-self-conscious state you get into when you're with someone new and you really want them to like you. I see all my movements through her eyes. Does this hand gesture make me seem like a jerk? Are my eyebrows crawling off my face? Is this a sexy half smile or do I look like I'm having a stroke?

He thinks my hair smells like spring rain. I'm really trying to remain stoic and unaffected. I remind myself that I don't like poetic language. I don't like poetry. I don't even like people who like poetry. But I'm not dead inside either.

char_5's review

adventurous emotional inspiring reflective fast-paced