Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

book_concierge's review against another edition

Audiobook performed by Davina Porter
2.5**

Book two in the Outlander series continues the story of Jamie and Claire. But significant time has gone by and Claire is remembering their efforts to thwart the Jacobite uprising … both in France, and in Scotland.

Gosh I was bored by much of this. It seemed to take forever to have Jamie back in the picture, and, let’s face it, it is the sexual tension between him and Claire that is most interesting. That being said, I still fast forwarded through several of the sex scenes. I just don’t need to read that over and over.

The plotting seemed very uneven to me in this sophomore effort. Several interesting characters were introduced in the Paris setting, but they simply disappeared in the second half of the book. Even characters who stayed with Jamie and Claire – principally Murtagh and Fergus – disappeared for chapters at a time only to come forward to play some key role (and then disappear again). The political “intrigue” wasn’t intriguing to me. And I am really tired of Claire getting into difficulty because she cannot keep her mouth shut, and then having to be saved by Jamie. I thought she should be smarter than that.

And then there is the cliff-hanger ending. One of my big pet peeves is an ending that “forces” me to get the next book to find out what happens. I guess that’s probably why I’m not a huge fan of series. Oh well.

Davina Porter, however, is spectacular narrating the audio version of this series. Her facility with voices makes me believe she IS Murtagh, Raymond, Claire, Fergus, the Duke of Sandringham, Jenny, Jamie, et al. Her pacing is perfect, adding to the tension in dangerous scenes, slowing to a thoughtful pace when Claire or Jamie are thinking through their plans. Brava.

amymarsh's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful informative slow-paced

rebecalynda's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional tense medium-paced

dblanch's review against another edition

adventurous emotional tense fast-paced

thejigglerreads's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

bmorewild's review against another edition

Simply got bored- will continue later

knod78's review against another edition

Wow and wow. Usually, a second book in the series doesn’t live up to the first book. But in this case, it did. I may liked it slightly better.

The way Gabaldon weaves plots and characters completely wraps me in to the storyline as if I’m there. This book is much different to the show and a certain betrayal is far worse. Claire and Jaimes love is even more defined and you can’t help but fall in love yourself with them.

I was again sad to end this story.

c_bee15's review against another edition

adventurous emotional tense medium-paced

julz_clay's review against another edition

adventurous emotional medium-paced

rowumutta's review against another edition

adventurous
taught me the word bilboquet