The Psychology of Time Travel, by Kate Mascarenhas

ashleighbeanxo's review against another edition

In 1967, four women create the world's first time machine. Unfortunately, one of the creators, Barbara has a breakdown, and threatens to jeopardise the efforts of the group. Margaret, the self-assigned leader of the group, decides to distance themselves from Barbara and they cut off all contact with her.

In 2017, Barbara is a grandmother to Ruby, a young woman who knows very little about her grandma's time travel days. Her mother has always discouraged talk about it as Barbara has struggled over the years with the fact she was never acknowledged as part of the discovery or able to time travel again. One day, Ruby finds an origami rabbit outside Barbara's door from one of her old colleagues. The paper unfolded contains a report from the future regarding a mysterious death of an elderly woman..

In 2018, Odette is just about to start her volunteering job at a museum after the Christmas holidays. Upon opening the museum, she discovers a foul smell and follows the trail to a dead woman in a locked room at the back of the museum. The woman has died from a bullet wound and the room was mysteriously locked from the inside. Who is this woman and who killed her? The police are unable to come up with an answer, and after going into shock, Odette needs to find out the truth.

I've been wanting to read this book for some time now, despite knowing very little about it, and upon hearing it recommended on the Get Booked podcast and finding out more about it, I knew I had to pick it up. The Psychology of Time Travel is a non-linear story that weaves around the lives of several female characters and how they connect to each other and time travel. This book really did support its female characters and I noticed there are very few male characters. Not a bad thing haha!

I especially loved Bee, Ruby and Grace. Ruby's story was the most fascinating to me and I loved her romance with Grace. It was a bit weird at first that Grace was seducing her old colleague's granddaughter, but they were so good together and I loved that they got married and had kids and they'd seen each other's 'deaths' before they were able to be together.

Because of the jumping back-and-forward, and the multiple versions of characters and timelines and what have you, the murder mystery really confused me. I'm still not 100% sure I understood what happened, but this was such a great book, I don't care. Also, Margaret was a complete and utter bitch, so I don't feel sorry for her one little bit :)

Wonderful and unique book. Loved it!

guar's review against another edition

adventurous lighthearted medium-paced

kbergsten's review

adventurous challenging mysterious medium-paced

mageestarr's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

isabeltavares's review against another edition

Whenever I visit my father, the trees in his garden are young again, and so is he. I will never take that for granted.

This one took me by surprise.
I usually don't read many sci-fi novels (but when I do, I really dislike them) but I kept seeing this one pop up around Booktube and the premise of four women creating the first time machine drew me in straight away.

A novel about women in STEM? What more could I want?

The novel follows their lives after they invent and present the time machine to the world, and also the lives of a few other characters. There is murder mystery as well that is unraveled as the story goes on.

What makes The Psychology of Time Travel extremely original is the fact it deals with the repercussions of time traveling in society, and in how it affects individuals mentally and socially. Mascarenhas writes about how skipping through time periods affect individuals in multiple ways, which was interesting to me.

Because they use time machines as they please, time travelers take everything around them for granted. If they miss someone, they can go back in time and visit, or they can go to the future to learn their fate. Nothing seems to faze them and, in part, nothing seems real when there's a possibility to skip ahead in time. They also consider themselves to be above "normal" people since they have an important job, and they have their own status in society.

I also enjoyed the culture the author created about time traveling, and how they develop their own expressions. They call their younger selves "green" and future selves "silver" because of the experience they obtain. And as they use the time machine and grow old, their views and personality also change.

The characters themselves were very interesting to read about but not remarkable. To me, what really stuck was the society Mascarenhas created and how she intertwines psychology with the usage of time machines. I also enjoyed the fact that a good chunk of the cast was queer, and it wasn't questioned by loved ones.

Overall, a very enjoyable and interesting read. I definitely see my "silver" self (get it?) rereading this and I look forward to this author's future works.

This arc was provided by Crooked Lane Books, via Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

madamemelli's review against another edition

Eine ausführliche Rezension folgt noch. Bis dahin nur kurz: Ich fand die ganzen Überlegungen zum Thema Zeitreisen großartig. Die Autorin hat sich viele Gedanken gemacht, wie sich Beziehungen zwischen Zeitreisenden und normalen Menschen verändern. Welche separate Strafverfolgung es geben könnte. Was es mit Menschen macht, wenn sie immer und immer wieder in ihre Vergangenheit zurückkehren können, um Verstorbene zu besuchen. Wie sich die verschiedenen Ichs einer Person zu bestimmten Festivitäten zusammen finden.
Das Mysterium der Toten zog sich ebenso wie die Geschichte der Zeitreisen durch die Handlung. Inwieweit sich manche Menschen Machtstrukturen vielleicht auch zu eigen gemacht haben.
Ein großes Plus war die Tatsache, dass in dem Roman fast nur Frauen vorkamen. Das war so geschickt umgesetzt, dass mir das sogar erst nach einiger Zeit auffiel. Die Charaktere bekommen alle ihre Eigenheiten und Schwächen, sodass man sie größtenteils zu lieben lernt. Schicksale verbinden sich auf interessante Weise miteinander.

Der Roman bekommt eine Empfehlung von mir ;)

meganelizabeth's review

adventurous emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

Great story but the writing was a little annoying

jasmin_reads's review against another edition

A captivating story through time. I really enjoyed this read and the different time periods it played in. It not only shows the possibilities of time travel but also how it affects the people travelling compared to those staying in their time-line. It‘s really thought through and even has a psychometric test used by the Conclave in the appendix. Very recommendable book!