bookoholic's review

adventurous funny lighthearted fast-paced

libraryanned's review

Three and a half stars. If I were more into superheroes, I probably would have gotten into this a bit more. Felt like the comics equivalent of the "legos for girls." That said, it was entertaining and I might read more when I need something light to read.

patthebook's review

What fun!

juliemawesome's review

This took me a lot longer to read than the Ms. Marvels! There were letter columns throughout, and I couldn't _not_ read them. And then there was a triple-long one, followed a few pages later, by another one! Really slowed me down. Also, they reprinted one person's letter in two different issues! Come on! And they also never responded to the two requests to put the footnotes in a more accessible color or font size.

Also included is Squirrel Girl's original appearance? Man, she looks creepy as heck in that comic!

It was fun. I actually wanted to see more of her life at college though.

(It's also educational if you don't know a lot about squirrels.)

syntaxen's review

I don't regularly read superhero comics, but one about a girl studying computer science? Right up my alley, I thought. And so it was! Funny, clever, silly and exactly what I was hoping for. Doreen Green <3

mollydettmann's review

Eat nuts, kicks butts. 4 out of 5 nuts for being cute and funny as well as having one kick-ass hero and adorable sidekick

powisamy's review

I definitely think that I have read at least one of these comics before but i do really like Squirel Girl and can't wait to read more.

I found the art style really nice and the writing was entertaining and funny. I also found the footnotes were a good touch.

I think it will be interesting if she comes to the MCU but I don't see it happening any time soon. They do have a talking racoon though?

ajfillari's review

Very fun. Very cute. Lots of good laughs. A good time all around.

starnosedmole's review

The puns in this made me miss some people like crazy, and are absolutely the best part of the comic IMO. It's fun to see a semi-awkward, goofy, cheery hero, and some of the supporting characters are terrific, too. The inclusion of other mainstream Marvel characters was a major downside for me, though; I wish I could have read about Squirrel Girl's adventures without running into more traditional superheros.

byamyholland's review

Finally got around to reading this - it was great! Squirrel Girl is a little-known character from the sprawling Marvel Universe (her origin story is included at the end of this volume) that has been updated and brought to the forefront by North and Henderson. I cannot overstate this: the Marvel Universe is vast and complicated, and I am not at all well-versed in its intricacies - but the creative team made Squirrel Girl accessible to novices like me. They pulled in other Marvel characters and storylines but always added enough explanation so I didn't feel lost.

North has a very specific writing style that readers will probably either love or hate. There's a lot of EMPHASIS using ALL CAPS and jangly run-on sentences that end with an enthusiastic explosion of exclamation points!!! I love this writing style because I feel like it jibes with my personality and sense of humor, but it won't be for everyone (I don't want to be friends with those people, though).

I think this series has been marketed primarily towards teens and adults, but I think I'll get copies to put in my children's library - there's nothing in here that makes it inappropriate for kids, and lord knows we need strong female protagonists for young people to look up to!!

Also! I love that Nancy is obsessed with her cat Mew. This is exactly how I feel about my cat, the generically-named Big Kitty. If you know me even a little bit, you know I'm obsessed with Big Kitty. Get out of my head, Ryan North!!