Once Upon a Grind, by Cleo Coyle

morticia32's review against another edition

Thank goodness I picked this up at the library instead of spending any money on it! Cleo Coyle has finally jumped the shark on this series. Spies, magic coffee beans, waking dreams, reading coffee grounds, civilians allowed in CIA operations, genetic specific remedies... Give me a freakin' break. By the time Clare had her "dream" about the kids in the forest and Matt explained that he deliberately fed his ex wife (not to mention a whole lot of other people) his magic hallucinogenic coffee beans I was shaking my head in amazement at the ridiculousness of the plot and wondering how so many could have given this a 5 star review!

And the three star reviews, "Rather tiresome." or "Did I finish this?" So how the hell does that rate a "liked it" rating?? I can't even give it an "ok" rating, because it just wasn't. It was just all too silly for me.

I don't know if this is just Coyle trying to cash in on the popularity of paranormal anything and everything, but this Coffeehouse Mystery left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

nonna7's review against another edition

If I wanted fairy tales, I'd read a book about them.If I wanted coffee beans to make someone get visions, I'd get mystical books to read.

jmcdbrock's review against another edition

Love this series but not a fan of this fairy tale theme.

books__brews_and_booze's review against another edition

Oooooooo, I really liked this one! Love the creativity!

happy_hiker's review against another edition

POSSIBLE SPOILERS. My rating of this book clearly puts me in a minority, since the average rating (206 ratings at the time of this review) is 4.17. I have read many books in this series, but this one just didn't do it for me.

First, I really disliked the whole "magic" beans element - I could not get into that and it just seemed to provide a convenient way for Clare to "know" things she otherwise would not have known.

Second, Clare, a coffee roaster/coffee house manager is NOT a detective, yet she is somehow welcomed into dangerous situations by police investigators (and seems to be allowed to mastermind undercover work) and is now encouraged to go snooping by her law-enforcement boyfriend AND the CIA (and she is immediately given information about a CIA investigation).

Third, the coffee house itself was mainly absent from this book. Conveniently, Clare did not have to work while she became New York's best crime solver. The coffee house atmosphere was one of the things that had drawn me to this cozy series.

And finally, the ending of this book, where Clare recovers from being poisoned by a "genetic-specific" anecdote concocted by some random scientist in the course a couple weeks made me groan in disbelief. Who was Dr. Pepper? A chemist? A biologist? As far as I could tell, he was someone who wanted to analyze the chemical composition of the magic beans and suddenly he was expert enough to do genetics and drug development also?

Why not one star, given this rant? It was fast moving and I guess I enjoyed it enough to take the hit of a two day late fine from the library to finish this.

I have gained some enjoyment from this series in the past, but I will most likely be putting aside this series to focus on my very huge to-read pile.

First book finished in 2015!

wheredobirdsgo's review against another edition

funny lighthearted medium-paced

slc333's review against another edition

I always enjoy Claire's feisty nature and clever amateur sleuthing. I like how she involved the police (in the form of daughter's boyfriend Franco) in her sleuthing rather than running off half-cocked. I prefer it when Mike is around though rather than flitting in for the occasional weekend so I am really looking forward to the next book.

momentum262's review against another edition

A very installment of the series with fairy tale vibes and magic coffee beans that give Claire strangely vivid dreams that seem to predict the future. It's hard to keep the pace of a series 14 books in, but Cleo Coyle does a great job mixing it up and keeping the reader invested in the characters!

heathers_reading_space's review

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

nutti72's review against another edition

3.5 stars, not as satisfying as the previous book in the series, however I enjoyed the continuation of the story. Changes abound.....