The Invasion of the Tearling, by Erika Johansen

textunes's review

adventurous dark sad medium-paced

sephranix's review

Meh. This book was better than the first one, I'll give it that, but it started out way too slow. It felt like I had to slog through the first third of the book before I was interested in anything. I liked seeing some of the background with Lily and I liked Father Tyler's parts, but there were a lot of pieces to this novel that felt extraneous. Short pieces or sentences that left me questioning why they were added to begin with when they didn't add anything to the story. Another thing that made me cringe every time: time travel. I am always wary with novels featuring time-travel. Johansen's style of time travel makes me very nervous, like at any minute something's going to happen that just won't make sense. I can only hope this is fleshed out better in the future.

heather_ash's review against another edition

THE REVEALS, PEOPLE!

Oh MAN. I'm so thankful this series is already completed because if I didn't have the next book to read immediately after the way this one ended I would be FINISHED. DEAD. ETC.

Here are some of the MAJORLY SPOILERY questions I want answered in the last book, and my guesses, where available:

Who is Kelsea's father? My guess is... Carroll. When Kelsea asked whether her father was a good man, "a pained expression darted across Mace's face, then was gone." "Yes, Lady. A very good man."
Who is the Fetch? My guess is Jonathan Tear. Because the Fetch seemed really interested in Caitlyn Tear "a girl with long reddish hair," whom Kelsea had glimpsed in the portrait gallery.
What did the Fetch do that was so bad? Did he make some kind of deal with the devil to save Caitlyn's life?
Is Dyer really alive? Why those silver eyes?
What was Finn's betrayal? No idea.
Will Kelsea end up with Pen? GOD I HOPE SO.
What will happen to the Holy Father? Will he play a big role? Will Kelsea murder him?
Will Kelsea die at the end of the next book? I don't think so because all of the books written about her seem to indicate a long life...
Why did Kelsea's mother send her away?
How did baby Kelsea get the knife mark on her shoulder? Is it connected to the trackers in Lily's shoulder?
What do the Mort do with all the children from the shipment? Is it just sacrifices to Finn? Is it trafficking? Are they used in the lab?
Why are the Mort so technologically advanced compared with the Tear? Does the Fetch's "mistake" have anything to do with this?
Does the Mace really not have parents?
Are we going to get more info about Lily and Maddy?
Glee/Andalie's prophecy "A hand holds your two jewels, but the hand is somehow empty at the same time. A beguiling man who face conceals a monstrosity. A playing card: the queen of spades. A chasm beneath your feet." Some of that makes sense, but will more come from the queen of spades bit? The chasm?
Will Kelsea go back to being plain/homely? Will she keep looking like Lily? "I have seen one jewel alter time and create miracles. But the other has the power of flesh, and you have a strong will, Tear heir. You will be able to flay skin and crush bones." Why is she the Tear heir? Because she has the spirit of a reformer? Will the book end in a better world? A new world? TIME TRAVEL!?
Brenna's prophecy: "Fools. She goes to her death before the first snowfall. I've seen it."
The Queen will flee: "I have seen your flight, you know. Pursued by a man in grey, the girl at your side. I have seen the cataclysm behind you."
Will Liriane, Andalie, and Glee become more key players? I hope so!

sharanya's review against another edition

I enjoyed the continuation of Kelsea's journey. Her relationships with others deepened with complexity & wit. Her inner struggles weaved deftly through the plot; her moment of triumph felt sweet. My only complaints are the back-and-forth between two different characters, and the violence, which seemed a bit more gratuitous than necessary this time. Still, I'm excited to discover how Kelsea's — and her people's — story will conclude!

rubybastille's review

I probably can’t fully evaluate this until after I’ve read book 3, but overall I liked it. The encroaching threat of the Mort army is amplified, rather than distracted from, by Kelsea dealing with immersive visions of a woman who lived pre-Crossing. The twin reveals of this woman and the Red Queen near the end didn’t quite work for me yet, but I anticipate book 3 answering a lot of my questions.

bitofadisgrace's review

slow-paced

sunnie's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense slow-paced

sophie_larisa's review

adventurous challenging dark sad tense medium-paced

emilylights's review