Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury

8bg's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense

nibblersmommy's review against another edition

I have very fond memories of reading The Illustrated Man in high school, so when I saw this book on sale at the Borders closing, I decided to pick it up. I know this book is just, if not more, used as an assignment in literature classes as The Illustrated Man, so I thought it would be an interesting read. It sure is.

I'm sure many of you know the story. It's amazing to me how almost 60 years later this story is still so incredibly relevant. While reading, it almost gave me chills how many similarities there are between our current society and the one portrayed in the story. If anything, I would say Bradbury did an amazing job of predicting what direction our society would move in over the course of all those decades.

This edition of the book also includes a few extra chapters at the end of Bradbury's comments, letters, and an interview. They are all very enlightening and I am happy that I had the opportunity to read them. The interview really explores Bradbury's unique storytelling style, which I particularly enjoyed reading about.

This is an excellent story, and the extras in this book are well worth it. If you've never have the opportunity to enjoy this tale, I would definitely recommend picking it up.

margaret_adams's review against another edition

Well shit, guys. I’d never read this before and didn’t know a thing about it and twenty minutes into the audiobook (I don’t think it counts as a spoiler if it’s basically the first few pages), firemen are burning books and suicide attempts are responded to by the equivalent of AAA call-style routine stomach pumping. Yes, these are related. This book is fierce.

Also interesting to me were the afterward, in which Bradbury describes writing Fahrenheit 451 in the basement of the UCLA library on rented typewriters (ten cents for thirty minutes—can you think of a better motivation for really using your writing time?), and the coda, where he goes after the censorship of his book on censorship.

ari_reading_'s review against another edition

1.5 stars
So it took me about 3 months to finish 20 pages.
I just wasn't motivated, even though the book was short.
It also was boring.
Full Review coming.

eliyalden's review against another edition

3.5 ⭐️

jburdge1774's review

challenging dark mysterious reflective tense slow-paced

valsaavedra's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective tense fast-paced

gracenote07's review against another edition

challenging dark tense fast-paced

meeswa's review against another edition

dark reflective tense medium-paced

krash9924's review against another edition

This one hits really close with all the events that have gone down in 2020. Amazing for a book that is 50 years old.