Bastion, by Mercedes Lackey

mleckie's review against another edition

adventurous slow-paced

vkorval's review

adventurous funny mysterious fast-paced

inferiorwit's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful mysterious tense slow-paced

traveling_in_books's review

adventurous medium-paced

_misty_'s review

The weakest of the series. I like character development but I despise noble idiocy, both in main characters and minor ones. I just find it silly.
Also a couple of things sounded deus ex machina. The author set things up since book one with Dallen putting information in Mags head but the consequences of that, or rather, the development of that in this book seemed rather improbable. I liked a character that was introduced late in the book though, I wonder if we'll see him again.

laura96's review

A satisfying read, as I would expect from this author. However, this book really could've used to be edited one more time before publishing. There were occasionally tangents that seemed to have absolutely nothing to do with the story line - for example, the bit about blizzards and snow being common to major events in Mags' life. Unless he's going to suddenly develop an influence over the weather, I don't see how it's relevant. Further, there were several large pieces of speech that seemed to switch speakers halfway through, with details at the beginning being relevant only to one character but the details at the end being relevant to another. The errors were a bit distracting from the main story, which I did thoroughly enjoy. Not as mind-blowing as some of her earlier works, but still very satisfying and interesting to read. The only character I found difficult to swallow was Bey, and he just didn't seem very realistic to me. Awfully generous for a man who's supposedly grown up an assassin discouraged from forming bonds with others - including family! Four out of five stars for a good book that needed to be edited one more time before publication.

jmoses's review

While I love most things Lackey writes (read her in my formative years, don't judge) I'm just....getting tired of this series. Individually the books are decent and quick reads. But they make the story drag on and on and on. I'd rather read a 900 page book that takes the whole 'Mags' storyline from start to finish than have it drag on in these tiny episodic chunks for years.

So, I read it. There's more coming. *sigh*

leons1701's review

This is a slightly odd entry in the Collegium Chronicles series, not only does very little of it take place at the Collegium, but there's no kirball. Well, it's mentioned a time or two, but there's no actual gameplay, and the book is the better for it, that device was getting rather overused. Finally, we get some answers about Mags origin, which probably makes this the concluding volume of the series. Although I've enjoyed it, I'm ready for it to be done, I want to see something new in the Heralds universe, not a rehash of better books.

betsychadwell's review

Last of the Collegium series, doesn't deal with the Collegium much. Instead Mags must go with some of his friends to a mountain area, called the Bastion, to confront the representatives of the clan of assassins among whom he was born and who are trying to force him to rejoin them. It's enjoyable, suspenseful, but I felt just slightly disappointed. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I think maybe I wanted more about the Heralds generally and the development of the Collegium. I would still recommend it.

glennisleblanc's review

Mags returns after being rescued and wonders when they will come for him again. The solution it seems is to send him away with a few friends and keep the trouble out of the capital. Yes there are guardsmen but they are not within shouting distance for a rescue so during a snowstorm everything comes to a head. At least you get all the reasons why they were after him in the first place. Hopefully this story line is now played out but I'm not sure if there will be any more stories with Mags or not now that he will soon become a full Herald.