Renegades, by Marissa Meyer

cinderellagirl's review

adventurous medium-paced

thirs's review

So I should stop reading subjects I do not really care about (like superheroes). But then again I really like the writing style of Marissa Meyer. Fingers crossed that after the next sequel she will write something I will really love (like lunar or perhaps something completely different).

lyaa's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

blok_sera_szwajcarskiego's review against another edition

“What exactly are we looking for? Villains, doing villainous things.”

"Renegades" was for me close-to-explode mix, because while it's a book from Marissa Meyer, it is also a story about superheroes. Personally, I was never too much into them, I hadn't read/watched Marvel nor DC and anything besides. It just never quite clicked with me, but hearing amazing recommendations for "Renegades" and having so far great experience with Meyer's book I gave it a try.

Here are the results.

As you can already predict after the rating, I quite enjoyed it. The story about world full of prodigies and unnatural powers, with society divided into two groups, being an enemy for each other. Where it is believed that Renegades are good and Archenemies bad. Where one girl, after horrible lose of family, changes her whole point of view, not for the last time, for that matter. Who decides to dedicate life for one goal - destroy Renegades.
In order to do that, she decides to become an Impostor *the tune of Among Us starts to play*.

From that point you can already predict how the story will go. It's not an assault, most of the books nowadays can be easily predicted. The point is how they will manage to take us from point A to point B, because while the main plot can be the most predictable thing in the whole universe, I care about the way we will be travelling together.

"Renegades" aren't exactly like that. Even though I could easily say what plot twist will appear, I wasn't sure when and how it will. So how did the journey went then?

Pretty good, to be frank.

I liked the main characters. Nora is kinda interesting, surely conflicted character, while Adrian is more stable, but more-to-explore one. I had Max for only 300 pages, but if anything happens to him I'm going berserk. The rest of Renegades are... okay. But it's super visible that they're meant to be supporting characters, so their dept isn't that deep to say anything more. I would love to explore their stories more in next books, but y'know how it is sometimes.

Half of the star was taken from my rating because of this issue. It mostly bothered me when it came to Archenemies and the Council. From one point of view, yes, I understand why it was written that way. "Renegades" aren't exactly about main conflict in this world's history, but more about next generation of it. This is an interesting case, because the one that are named "the best of the best" aren't in the spotlight of narration, so the book doesn't deal with another "superhero rescuing the world". This is similar to the "Wayward Son" case, where I did love it, because it twisted popular trope with not popular treatment.

But from the other point, I think "Renegades" were hurt with the same bullet.

I don't quite understand the point of existing both Renegades and Archenemies. I mean yeah, the conflict between "we're the good guys" - "no, we're the good ones, you just misunderstood us, we know what's better" does make some sense. But none of the Archenemies' motivation worked - WARNING YOU'RE NOW ENTERING KINDA SPOILER(ISH) ZONE - this is mostly about Nova's case, cause while I do understand she was angry with Renegades not rescuing her parents, why... did she.. start to hate them? I mean they weren't the ones who ordered to kill them, right? They just... didn't come for rescue, but they didn't know about it, either? And while yes, I think it will make amazing character development in next books (at least that's what I expect), the Archenemies are still left with sticking cart on their forehead with the note "JUST EVIL AND PROUD".
That's why I choose that quote for the opening of review. For me, for now, they're just villains, doing villainous things.
YOU'RE NOW LEAVING THE SPOILER(ISH) ZONE

The one thing I was lacking through reading is the bigger point of prodigies' existence. No spoiler please, if it's covered in later books! But for now I kinda don't understand why there are people with super powers in this universe. I mean, it may just me being stupid, and not knowing that when it comes to superheroes they don't need THE POINT of their powers, but still. I like to know if it's the bigger matter or just "it worked with the plot, nothing besides". But here the story itself suggests there is some sort of intrigue behind that - it's a little suggestion, but well. I hope.

To summarize all in all, yes, I liked it, even with the things I did not. I leave a lot of space to fill for the next books, so I'm not taking any of my pleas as real pleas. They're things I want to take a closer look after the series as a whole. It would be different case if it was a stand-alone, of course.

For me, "Renegades" was something interesting. It was a challenge, if the trope that never catched my eye, can make a difference. In result, I think its work was achieved half in half.
I'm still not convinced to superheroes. But I'm convinced to keep reading Renegades series, so win for me :D

roseofphantom's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense slow-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

It didn't really get interesting until the last few chapters.  In this instance I really think it was a me thing and I was expecting something else.  I think I wanted more of the romance than there was.

emhromp's review against another edition

Superhelden met gaven die ik zelf had willen kunnen verzinnen.
Goed verhaal, beste cliffhanger van de wereld, maar wel een beetje teveel woorden. Anders definitely 5*

hayaat's review

4.5 stars

it has its flaws, undoubtedly, but it's a concept i very rrely read with compelling enough characters, so i'll take it.

the powers are hella badass too. like blood into rubies??? come. ON

armiles713's review

4.5 I really liked it! Much of it resembled many other things I've seen/read before (loads of super power related things coming out), but I loved the characters, and I wish that I had the sequel already. Also, I don't know about you guys, but I did NOT see that ending coming. Not really, at least.

madigezzell's review

I’ve been in a BIG superhero mood recently and this hit the spot. I love all the characters and I can’t wait to see what happens next.

lemondifficult's review

Second half is interesting but first half truly made me question whether I had made a mistake buying this series but hopefully the trilogy picks up in pace from the second book