Cruel Enforcer, by Maggie Cole

lostcapricorn's review

dark emotional hopeful medium-paced

loverofromance's review

This review may contain spoilers, so fair warning, upon reading the review.

What you do with your knife gives you life. In others’ deaths, you were reborn.

First Impressions
Cruel Enforcer is book three in the Mafia Wars series and I was more than ready to get back to this series and get back to this family again, and I really love how this author writes Mafia, she does it so intricately and where both dark romance and contemporary romance fans could enjoy which doesn’t happen too often in edgier romance like this. I was highly impressed with Cruel Enforcer and the romance that builds, the writing is guaranteed to pull you immediately into it and I really respected the way that we see the over reaching plot be formed within this story. I also couldn’t get enough of our main leads: Sergey and Kora who are such a strong match for each other and I greatly admired seeing their romance develop in the way that it does. I honestly couldn'[t get enough of seeing them together,, and how well they compliment each other.

I want to share my life with someone, but I won’t choose any man just so I don’t end up alone.

Summary
Sergey has been in a relationship for years but he knows that is long time to end things as she is not the type of woman that he wants to be with, because while they are explosive in the bedroom, there is nothing solid other than that and she can be a cruel vindictive woman. What he doesn’t expect is to be drawn into Kora’s world. Kora and Sergey instantly have a connection to each other, As they explore the connection that they have together, they also have to come to terms with their pasts and the unresolved issues that creep into their relationship. There is a danger as tension rise with a dangerous mafia lord who has threatened them and Sergey is determined to protect all of those that he loves. We also see how Kora and Sergey lives become intertwined with each other, but Kora will have to face up to the reality of Sergey life and determine if she can live the life he leads while also embracing the fiery passion that is growing between them…

When the time comes, and the fear inside you grows, remember the devil is on your side. His obsession with you isn’t going to wither. It doesn’t die unless you cross him. It grows more powerful with time, and when you give in to his temptation, he will reward you in ways you didn’t anticipate.

What I Loved
Cruel Enforcer is such a page-turner and it won my heart so quickly. There was an aspect to this story that I so dearly loved and I also get a kick out of age difference when the heroine is the one that is older. I don’t see it very often and I was so intrigued to see how Maggie Cole would write Sergey’s story. I will admit that I deeply adored the way that their romance is built and the history behind it. We do see where it begins, and the events that fall into place, so I do think its best to read this series in order to be honest. The events are connected together and will make more sense if you do. So while it can be read as a stand-alone it is truly best to be read in order of each other. I really admired Sergey in this book, and he has this quiet strength that is admirable. He is such a dominant alpha male, and he is drawn to Kora’s strength. Kora is one of the most prestigious lawyers in Chicago, so she has to be alpha at times. But with Sergey she wants to be seen as feminine and not masculine with him. She wants to submit and let him take control, just so she can have a break from her hectic life where everything needs to be a controllable factor. There is such a vulnerability that we see in both Sergey and Kora. They do explore some BDSM elements, but its not extreme or anything. And I really love seeing this aspect of their relationship, Maggie Cole write BDSM so well and I love how intimate these scenes were and how well built they are that are immersed throughout the story. We do see some side hints for couples in near future books so I am really excited to explore.

The devil doesn’t come and go, my lapa. You’re about to make a deal with him, and this is your last out. If you stay, we aren’t going to keep discussing this and going in circles. Not tonight, or tomorrow, or anytime in the future. You’re accepting what you told me earlier today you can’t.

What I Struggled With
The only element I would change is having Kora and Sergey work out their issues a bit sooner, there is some back to forth that gets dragged on a bit too much for my liking.

Overall View
I found Cruel Enforcer to be a stunning addition to the mafia wars series, which won my heart quickly. It’s a story that brings two strong personalities and brings such delights to their intimate relationship. The emotions that Maggie Cole is able to give to the reader are stunning and so poignant in the small moments, which is guaranteed to take your breath away. SUPERB IN EVERY WAY!

You are mine. I am yours. There is no one I love more than you, and you will not disregard me or my love for you.

booze_boobs_books's review

The third book in the Mafia Wars series by Maggie Cole is a roller coaster ride that you will never want to get off. In addition to all the sexy Ivanov brothers it has drama, action and romance unlike anything else. Kora and Sergey will melt your heart and your panties from the very beginning. Another wonderful story that will leave you begging for more as soon as you read the last page!!!

justavoraciousreader's review

Climactic suspense, drama, intrigue, pulse-pounding highs and torturous lows, this series is a great continuation of the "Mafia Wars" Series . Cruel Enforcer is super sharp, dark and deliciously sexy with a well-built plot that will keep you on edge. Aaron Shedlock once again delivers a fabulous performance. Zara Eden is a new to me narrator and narrated Kora exactly as I would have imagined her. I loved all the secrets and passion of Sergey and Kora. Thank you Maggie Cole and thank you @PinkFlamingoProductions @AudiobookObsession #TheFlock #AudiobookObsessionReviewer

alwaysbereadin's review

Getting to know more about Sergey Ivanov and Kora Kilborn both was a treat. It was hot and steamy, angsty and sets up further stories to come (which I've already read) This whole series (so far) has been written so crisp and the plot flows really well IMO. The little cliffhangers at the end always leave you thirsty for more and not only is Kora a baddie but she's the slightly older one in this relationship (which I for sure need more of) If you're not reading The Mafia Wars...then what you doing?!

thebookrefuge's review

*Thank you to the Author for an eARC in exchange for an honest review*

Well hello sexy Sergey!

I was so excited to get my hands on this book after reading the previous two books in the Mafia Wars in 2 days. The way this author has plotted this series is amazing to me. So far all the romances have overlapped and crossed paths, which is believable for how they all meet each other in the first book and what we know about their histories, we know it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Sergey is one of the Ivanov Brothers, he is one of the younger brothers but he has just as much damage as any of them. He has been in an on-again off-again relationship with a woman who likes him for his dungeon but ignores important moments in his life when it is inconvenient for her. Then he meets Kora…

Kora is a badass boss bitch lawyer, who we see go toe to toe with Maxsim and watch out for her friends when needed. When her and Sergey share a heated kiss one night, she jokingly asks him if she can be his cougar and he calls her his Piranha, a term of endearment for him, but she sees it that he sees her as too aggressive, which has been an issue for her in the past.

She wants a man who doesn't cramp her style, but who will still be in charge and take care of her where she needs it. However, what she doesn’t need is all the secrets that surround Sergey. She is no meek kitten and she will never stop hunting for the truth about why the Ivanovs are always running off at odd times.

But amidst the growing war with the Petrovs…. That is more dangerous than ever.

Holy, this book was sexy! I knew I was in for a good time after Nora got an eyeful of these two going at it in the previous book but… man.. These two were sizzling. And a little BDSM bedroom play never hurt either. Also, Sergey has a pink fetish, well, a fetish for Kora in pink… that made me swoon a few times.

I am loving this series so much and I am so happy to be on the ARC Team now and get o review these books as they are ready. This family has my heart and I appreciate so much about them.

One little detractor for me was the amount of back and forth with these two. I feel like it went around the merry go round 1 too many times. Especially for how long this book was. But not enough to knock a star.

5/5 Stars for me!