Klara and the Sun, by Kazuo Ishiguro

laikiaroo's review against another edition

I'm not even sure how to describe this book - I suppose it is considered dystopian science fiction, but that really doesn't classify it at all, IMO. Magical realism? Its own category? I enjoyed it, how it made me think...

undinecerelia's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

echoreads's review against another edition

mmihaelax's review against another edition

It's a dull book.

emm_roo's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

battybookworm's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional inspiring mysterious reflective sad medium-paced

I read this for a challenge (a book by a favorite author that came out this year) and I’m so glad I did! I don’t often seek out books by authors but this was a joy to read and analyze in comparison to Ishiguro’s past novel that I’ve read, Never Let Me Go. I would say the same themes are repeated here, but with enough updates that the story was still thought provoking and engaging. I’m left with so many questions:
Spoiler What was going on with Klara’s old shop and Mr. McBain’s barn? What is lifted? Why did they throw her away? I’m crying!!

I think this story is well worth the read, but it’s definitely not overly cheering. Thought provoking study of AI and what it means to be sentient and sacred.

damien_reads_books's review against another edition

Klara and the Sun follows Klara, an AF (artificial friend), who is purchased by a mysterious family in this dystopian literary speculative take.

Ishiguro tends to either work for people or he doesn’t, sometimes his quiet delivery and storytelling doesn’t work for people, but it does so much for me. This is no different. Klara presents everything in a mechanical (no pun intended) way, but she is essentially a fly on the wall witnessing human emotion, she is even known to be well versed in her observational skills.

As with most of Ishiguro’s novels the speculative nature is secondary to the exploration of very human conditions such as mortality, faith, hope, and parental relationships.

elderlingfool's review against another edition

emotional hopeful mysterious reflective medium-paced

I keep hearing that “The Remains of the Day” and “Never Let Me Go” are Ishiguro’s best novels, but I am having an hard time thinking about how those can be better than this. Besides this one, I have only read “A Pale View of Hills” so I am excited to read more of this author’s works.

This story is told from the perspective of an AI named Klara. Klara is an Artificial Friend with extraordinary observation skills. The book starts with Klara in the store waiting, together with other AFs, to be purchased by a costumer in order to be the perfect company for a child. One day the right child chooses her.

For the most part this story reads like a slice of life, but eventually there is some commentary about the technological progress. This story is also about love and social class with an environmental message sprinkled in.

The characters are fantastic and I found that the vague information provided by the narrator made the plot more interesting. Klara is very much like a child that is learning about the people around her and the world at the same time as the reader, even though often the reader understands things faster than Klara does since she is still receiving new information that can be obvious. I was equally as invested in the child, her family and neighbors, that have their own troubles.

The writing is simple, but emotional. The story is a bit predictable, but I still enjoyed it immensely and I liked the open ending most characters get.

My only complain is that the pacing in the last part of the book is too quick. There is a big time jump and I would have preferred to have stayed a bit more with the characters and witness them changing.

This is definitely a novel I will revisit in the future.

klara_lind's review against another edition

reflective slow-paced

linzbullreads's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious tense slow-paced