The Nightingale, by Kristin Hannah

theresipedia's review

All i can say is: i'm in pieces and everything hurts

jeniperel's review

4.5. this book ripped my heart out, shattered it into several pieces, and stepped on them. saw that the reviews were mixed in this one, so starting it, i was quite unsure of my reaction as well. fortunately, it turned for positives for me.

i didn't care much for the romance part of the book, but i was emotionally invested in Isabelle's rebellion through the Resistence and Vianne's fate of living with the enemy. admittedly, i don't know much about the time period in 1940's France and am oblivious about the factual war between Germany and France, so while many of the readers hated the lack of research, i didn't take it into consideration.

what was the down part for me was the confusing details (age, place, etc). at first i thought the sisters were 10 years apart, but then another description said otherwise, so it took a bit out of the experience. but tbh i didn't mind much and i still loved it.

laurfrancess's review

wow. So now I’ll cry for seven months.

pamdevlin's review

I couldn't put this book down due to the character development and storyline. I give it 4 stars for suspense and emotional impact. Some of the scenes will stay with me a long time. However, it often read like a Lifetime movie, and I found myself annoyed by the repetition, cliched writing and the author's need to explain the obvious. The review here on Goodreads by "Violet" sums up my thoughts perfectly! I would still recommend it, but "All The Light We Cannot See" has been a hard act to follow.

sarahhaydon's review

This book was incredible. I fell in love with the characters and their stories. It was heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. I cried both tears of joy and tears of sadness. One of the best books I have read in a while.

paperbackstash's review

“If I have learned anything in this long life of mine, it is this: in love we find out who we want to be; in war we find out who we are.”

I had high hopes for this one and see that I'm in the minority for a disappointed rating.

The book shone with it's ups, but the downs aren't possible for me to ignore. The writing is beautiful and easy to read with a lovely flow, but sometimes comes across a little flowery and overdrawn. This is the first time I've read this author - she definitely opens well, ends with a nice touch, but sometimes the story seemed to lose its way.

I think the real issue is the authenticity. I didn't feel it. It felt like there was something fake to me about Isabelle especially. That sort of rebellion did exist, but not in droves, and not with such convenience. Not only was she rebellious, knew who to go to immediately to get into the resistance, had all these hiding places conveniently around, and automatically so fierce and determined, but she was supposedly beautiful and perfect in basically every way. While the author wants people to root for her heroism, and I did later, she did childish things that endangered those she loved and cared about early on. Her actions saved lives, but she also ended lives for those who were close to her or close to others she knew. Sadly that is the price of war but it didn't have to be.

I find Vianne more realistic in the way she acted and handled things. At first, before the war when her husband Antionne was delivering the grim news that he was to be a soldier the next morning, their life seemed too picture perfect and staged. When he left, it felt a wee more realistic again. I found her story dealing with the town, the school, her children, and the soldier billeting in her house more intriguing. There was a tragic turn with that which angered me though, souring me more on the story.

I enjoy historical fiction about the war, but this one didn't hold up compared to some of the other pieces I've read. Grim, depressing things occurred (definitely) but there were a few too many convenient hiding spots, predictable turn of events for the people they associated with, and it clearly read as fiction.

It's supposed to be also about the bond of sisters, but I didn't feel endeared toward their relationship.

The ending was a good one at least, and it helped cool me to the story and rate a three over a two. It's not a beautiful story that makes you feel good, that's for sure, it left me mainly grouchy and feeling that this story felt too contrived. I will say that it was easy to read and hard to put down, so there are brownie points given for that.

If you're like many other readers, you'll probably enjoy it more than I did. The book and I obviously didn't have strong chemistry.

boomtownbooks's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional inspiring sad medium-paced

cgeorge's review

Wow... this book had me choking back tears. Read this, it will touch you.

lannp's review against another edition

dark emotional sad slow-paced

abernard's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful inspiring slow-paced