Serpent & Dove, by Shelby Mahurin

nurmazen_'s review against another edition

I have seen mixed reviews on Goodreads for this book, and I wanted to take my time before reviewing it, to think about what needed to be said.

This book, for the most part, is a romance. It's an arranged marriage and if you don't know that then you probably haven't read the synopsis, because it's said, very loud and clear. So if you're thinking that you're going in for action and suspense and epic battle scenes, then I'm sorry you probably will not find that, except maybe the last portion of the book.

But the romance was, in my opinion that is and of course everyone has different tastes, was beautiful. I like them, and I like them together.

And for the plot and the storyline, it's amazing, and I can't wait for the second book to see where this goes. They still have a long way to go, and I can't wait to watch it all unfold.

So for a debut novel, this was magnificent and very hooking. And the writing style was beautiful as well (And the quotes in this book..... I loved them)

zeldaisthegirl7's review against another edition

fast-paced

winchested's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

kedonald's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny tense fast-paced

scorposh's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark funny mysterious medium-paced

magpie4's review against another edition

I had heard great things about this book and everybody was talking about how good it was, but I didn’t under stand the hype. I had my own issues with the book, but I watched some reviews and realized there were a lot of problematic elements within the book.

•World Building
The world had the potential to be good. The magic system was cool with the different types of witches, but it became really inconsistent. Dame Blanches had to pay a price for their magic and Louise always had to give something in return, but it seemed liked other Dame Blanches never had to pay a price, which really confused me and inconsistent. I think the book was set in medieval France, but there was modern slang thrown in there every now and it just put me out of the story.

•Characters
I did not really like any of the characters in this book. Louise was super annoying in my opinion. She is your typical YA “I’m not like other girls” trope , which I hate. She disliked any girl who had feminine characteristics which is inherently problematic. Reid was ok. I like how he respected Louise as and individual and his wife at the same time. He respected women and that was something I appreciated About his character. Although, sometimes he would say things that made me rethink his characters. He was really possessive of Louise which was a little weird. The antagonist was very 2 dimensional. She just felt like a cardboard cutout, not a human. What I liked about both Reid and Louise is that they were both in the morally gray area. They had both done questionable things and they are both struggling with what is right and wrong.

•The Romance
In the beginning the romance was slow burning and I really liked it. I assumed it was going to be insta lovey, so I’m glad I was wrong, but all the sudden in the middle of the book they suddenly became infatuated with each other. When that flip switched it was really disappointing because it had the potential to be a great slow YA romance book, but nope.

•The Writing
This was by far my biggest issue with the book. I just found it really hard to mesh with the writing style. It really pulled me out of the story. It felt like she didn’t know how to write a complete sentence. The author really likes to describe things with one word sentences and that really bothered me. It felt like none of the sentences were grammatically correct. This happened consistently throughout the story and it just did not mesh with me. I also felt like it was a lot of tell and now show. We were told that they were feeling sad or happy and that he went here or did this, we were not shown it. When major things happened, such as Reid using magic to bring Louise back from the dead, it was often ignored for several chapters or the characters knew, but chose to not say anything. Reid just used magic, and he is boy!!!!! Why was no one freaking out, because I sure was?!

•Problematic Issues
I realized how bad people of color were treated in the book. Not only were they lacking in this book, but they way they were described compared to white people was ridiculous. When a white character was introduced their appearance was described with lots of detail such as their jawline, eye color, body hair etc, but any person of color is only described with their hair and skin color. It is basically assumed that people are white, unless told other wise. The way plus sized people were portrayed was horrible.

Overall I disliked this book mainly because of the writing style. I’m unsure if I will pick of the sequel.

kspear22's review against another edition

By far one of my favorite reads of 2019. Which kinda feels like I’m not giving it enough credit since I wasn’t as active. But in my defense, I felt there weren’t as many phenomenal books as there usually are.

Lou was everything I want in my heroines. Witty and sarcastic with no filter. I loved that she had to hide her identity in order to stay alive...and ended up in the midst of her enemies anyway.

Reid was a broody, conservative man. So essentially her opposite in every way. Which added up to a favorite trope of mine.

The side characters were just as amazing. Coco and Ansel could easily get spinoffs tales that is read in a heartbeat.

And the story was WONDERFUL. I loved it so much. The magic, deceit, plotting...just terrifically done.

Oh, and the magic in this world was really cool too. I loved what Lou was able to do. It’s one of those that makes you wish you could step into the book and experience it for yourself.

So yes, I loved it and I cannot wait for the next book!

jmalooly's review against another edition

dark
DNF

mcanant's review against another edition

I really enjoyed this! Lou is such a feisty badass character and I loved the whole enemies to lovers thing she had going with the prim and proper Reid. The characters were so well written and I was just as intrigued by some of the side characters. It took me a bit to really get a grasp on the world and magic system. I still think the magic system could be a bit more developed, but once I got into the story more, I found myself more acquainted with the world and wanting to know more about the different types of witches (hopefully in the next book!) So excited for the books to follow!

fishbulle's review against another edition

A witch and a witch hunter forced into holy matrimony, what could possibly go wrong. . . lol

This book had everything I need—magic (with a system that is well explained and makes sense), morally gray characters, addictive writing that prevented me from putting the book aside (read it in two days and it’s over 500 pages long!), supportive female friends (and just genuine friendships in general), slow burn romance, awesome plot twists and beautiful character development.

➸ Lou is a Dame Blanche hiding from her coven, and the Chasseurs, stealing, lying and occasionally killing to survive.

➸ Reid is a Chasseur hunting and killing Dames Blanches, raised with the belief that what he does is the right thing.

When their paths unexpectedly cross, they will face a lot of roadblocks but the way they both grow is sooo satisfying. And let’s not talk about their slow burn romance and bickering.

If you’re into magic, witches, enemies to lovers and forbidden love, this is the book you should pick up!

————————————

WHAT A RIDE OMG RTC

————————————

just received this in the september fairyloot box and can’t wait to start reading it