Beyond the Gender Binary, by Alok Vaid-Menon

iiitsmarissaaa's review

“I learned about gender through shame. In so many ways they became inseparable for me…The thing about shame is that it eats at you until it fully consumes you. Then you cannot tell the difference between their shame and your own. Between a body and an apology. It’s not just that you internalize the shame, rather it becomes you. You no longer need the people at school telling you not to dress like that, you already do it yourself.”

I think if you’re beginning your journey into gender studies, this is a great read. The book is about 60 pages or 1 hour as an audiobook. It is a compact and thorough overlook of the history of gender and how societal expectations of gender has changed. Alok also writes about their own experiences as gender nonconforming which is a beautiful and impactful addition to the book.

I have a bachelors degree in Gender Studies, so I have consumed a lot of literature about gender. I say this to preface that I wanted a bit more from this micro book. I was personally hoping that Alok would delve into more nuanced and complex discussions about gender than was already presented in the book. But I recognize that this book is meant more to serve as an educational foundation to gender studies.

Anyways I really recommend checking out this micro book!

epicleaves's review

challenging hopeful informative medium-paced

sucreslibrary's review

hopeful informative

emyjo's review

challenging emotional informative reflective medium-paced

jannus's review

This seems like an easy book, the information can be found within just a few google searches. I'm overall kind of disappointed with the fact that this didn't teach me anything new. Nonetheless, it was a well-written work and I enjoyed the short read.

cluckenbook's review

informative fast-paced

ktv's review

I loved this book, not solely because it helped me better understand one of the many trans experiences, but because it educated me about the numerous ways gender is pushed onto all of us. We truly are not given a choice, and this book really opened my eyes to how it’s so ingrained in our society. Of course, I saw it all around me—the men and women’s sections in clothing stores, the gender reveal parties—but it never clicked until I saw someone else’s experience and perspective, especially someone who’s so much more GNC than me. Reading this book helped me understand that expression is just a part of it, and your identity as a whole is how you define it. Overall, it was a great read, super educational, and Alok’s writing is phenomenal.

vedantjain's review