Etched in Bone, by Anne Bishop

bethwynbadger's review against another edition

I have all the feels about this and I raced through it and now I just want more and arghhhh.

dead_unicorn's review against another edition

I have so many mixed feelings about this book. I enjoyed this book very much (not as much as the others in the series but still a lot) even though this antagonist was the worst in the series (the one in the last book was bad too but Cyrus was unbearable) but the ending wasn't good enough to save it like the others in the series.

I enjoyed so much about this book. I love seeing the interactions between the human and the residents of the courtyard. I love the addition of Montogmery fearless mother Twyla and watching her teach everyone about everything, I love most of the character (everyone but the antagonist basically), I Love Meg and Simon, but Cyrus was unbearable. He was a waste of space shit person. He had these disgusting internal monologues where all he would talk bout was, how to get money, bitches and pussy, he was hiding food and money from his wife and kids, and on top of that he had to make everything that much more rapey
Spoiler I mean he was literally pimping out his wife, he as teaching his piece of shit son to pimp out his 7 year old sister and then he tried to rape Meg. And the worst thing about it is that I don't know if Meg knows that he didn't actually rape her because the book implies that she doesn't know what he did or didn't do.
. I know the other books had frustrating antagonists but Cyrus was the worst just because there was so much involving him and we were in his head so much, and he was more of an annoyance than a real threat so he really did deserve to the be the antagonist of the final book. It just sidetracked that major issue of the story. I mean the human race is still fucked, he didn't do much to help or hinder the situation. All he did was annoy the shit out of everyone

All that being said what really ruin this book for me was there wasn't enough Meg and Simon. All of the problems I had with the book would have been easily ignored if I had gotten more Simon and Meg being cute. I mean so much build up for just one kiss, I was so disappointing.

greymalkin's review

adventurous funny reflective medium-paced

Not much happens in this book, or rather the main action centers around something that all the characters know is going to happen and then it's just a matter of waiting for it to happen.  Despite knowing that it's going to happen, I feel like they did little to actually manage the situation.  A promised "huge fight" is handled mostly off screen and doesn't actually seem to have any effect.   The gender stereotyping is getting a little tiresome- that the women handle the food and have to be their own "pack" and the males are clueless.

SpoilerAnd spending time in Cyrus' head was disgusting.  Also the sexual abuse of a child was really unnecessary.

brennaa's review

adventurous dark tense

manic_pixie's review

jaclynder's review against another edition

Etched in Bone is the final installment of Anne Bishop's The Others series. And as a final book, I do think it delivers on a satisfying ending as it builds upon events from the previous book.

While Bishop provides a compelling conclusion to the tension between the humans and the Others its the continuation of Meg's development that continues to fascinate me as does the reaction others have to Meg (both human and Other). Meg started this series as a blank slate and it's clear that in this final book she's changed greatly and embraced a more independent nature. Meg's tentative relationship with Simon is of particular note, since fans of the series have been shipping their romance from the start. While there is nothing traditional about their relationship, I think fans will be pleased by the authentic approach the author takes with their "romance".

The atmosphere of tension is also particularly well done in the final book. Some pretty significant things when down in the previous book, and the final book has many moments fraught with tension. One misstep on the part of the humans could mean the end of humanity, and that razor's edge suspense is continued throughout the book. What is appealing about this tension is the fact that it is easily correlated to contemporary issues, which I personally found compelling and thought provoking. Fans of the atmosphere of the previous books will not be disappointed with the direction Bishop takes them. The suspense was high but it was balanced with lighter moments as well.

Etched in Bone is a damned fine ending to a brilliant series. If you're a fan of deconstructing humanity and asking big questions in your fiction AND you still like an entertaining story, this is a must-read series. Seriously, go read book one.

*Review copy provided by the publisher via NetGalley.

biddywink's review

Gah! So excited to throw ROMANCE in there as a tag for this installment of The Others series! Meg and Simon's slow-building relationship is moving forward at last!! Though I am totally not complaining. I love how [a:Anne Bishop|26897|Anne Bishop|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1237258217p2/26897.jpg] has built their romance gradually. It's sweet and real and warm and good.

I wasn't sure where this book would take us, especially
Spoilerafter the explosive end to the HFL uprising in the last book by the brutal, terrifying, and powerful Elders, who had right on their side.
However, there was much for the human allies and the Others to decide, build, and recover from the turmoil of the last book. Other dangling plot lines were tied up.

I must say, Bishop knows how to write the tension and conflict super well, as demonstrated not only by the HFL progression over the course of the books, but also with the disturbing introduction of Lt. Montgomery's brother and family. *shudder*

There's another book announced for the series and I wonder what story it will tell, as these last two installments covered so much! Imma read it, tho. Can't wait!

magicineverybook's review against another edition

I deeply adore these books and I really hope Bishop returns to the Lakeside Courtyard someday.

lovesky521's review against another edition

3.5. ...disappointed. It’s so slow and boring for a conclusion.

duu's review against another edition

Have I read the entire series? No.
Did I skim read this? Yes.
Am I ashamed of myself? Maybe a little bit.

I tried to read the third book a few months ago but I was too bored to finish it so I decided to read skim read the last book and for the record, I understood everything.

The reading order for this series should be:
First book then the last chapter of the fifth book. Everything in between (at least the parts I've read) was too boring.