A Love Hate Thing, by Whitney D. Grandison

vickycbooks's review against another edition

I had really high hopes for this one, but it ended up falling a little short for me.

Personally, I found the framing around Pacific Hills as a great community that everyone aspires to live in to be...uncomfortable? deceiving? It's a rich neighborhood, and even as a semi-diverse one, I found it weird that it was being framed as a good place. One that is good to all the people who live there. Because real rich neighborhoods like Pacific Hills, complete with cotillion and deb balls, can get pretty racist and exclusionary. Deb balls are usually invitation-based and the invites go to rich white kids with connections. (But again, Pacific Hills is fictional, so on one hand, this is a nice fantasy to be able to write about.)

But especially when contrasted against Lindwood. A lot of the times it felt like the book was saying "Congrats, Trice! You got out! You get to benefit and chill in Pacific Hills! Time for you to cut all ties to Lindwood and start your new happy stage of your life with a bunch of rich kids. You deserve to get out...sucks for everyone else in Lindwood."

Idk. I'll update if I have more thoughts, but I'd definitely suggest reading some OwnVoices reviews. I'm not sure I would hand this to any white or non-Black reader who isn't well-versed in understanding complex social dynamics surrounding community and Blackness. Which isn't a flaw of Grandison or her writing, but more of a flaw of the white gaze that may read this and internalize some of the shit Nandy internalized at the beginning of the book.

hafsahk's review

Had to force myself to get through this, it just doesn’t sound like teenagers + very very cringe

aji's review

Too many unnecessary characters imo, i dont need to know the whole family tree of their friends. Some parts were also dragging, could definitely be shorter. Also i hate how superficial it all seems, its filled w stereotypes, and the relationship btwn the two MCs doesnt seem to be justified, their feelings or how they fall inlove seems to be too superficial and honestly cant see that much of a chemistry between them. The emotions were all over the place, and hoestly, i hate how nandy seems to self centeeed at times and how she acts all high and mighty. Never really disliked an MC this much

jenennap29's review

I am glad I read the author's acknowledgments before writing a review because I was thinking "The O.C." the ENTIRE time I was reading this book! Overall, I did really like it but some parts just kind of dragged out longer than I liked for my reading pleasure. This story is more of a slow burn than a one and done kind of reading experience.

annabutm's review

emotional inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

shector1's review

Mood thing again. Maybe I’m into the enemies to lovers in teenagers

melizardo88's review

adventurous emotional reflective sad tense medium-paced

thelifeeofjazz's review

emotional hopeful reflective slow-paced

athorpe314's review

emotional lighthearted medium-paced

laceyslibrarybooksta's review against another edition

I received this book as a part of the Winter 2020 Harlequin Trade Publishing Blog Tour for Inkyard Press! Thank you to Kelly deVos, Harlequin Books, Inkyard Press & NetGalley for a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

There was a lot about [b:A Love Hate Thing|43513793|A Love Hate Thing|Whitney D. Grandison|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1560794275l/43513793._SX50_.jpg|67675592] that I enjoyed and a lot that I was just so/so about.

To start, Trice was a character that I was very much able to feel emotions for. His story was extreme and tough to hear, and I'm glad that I was able to see his development throughout the story. On the so/so side, I could not get into Nandy's character at all. Her development wasn't enough for me and even by  the end of the book, I still could not see her as a character I would like to know. By the time we started to see any type of interest between Nandy and Trice, I was over her and her attitude, so I couldn't get into that aspect in the slightest.

I think that the story was definitely believable and could've been authentic. The differences between Nandy's world in Pacific Hills and Trice's world in Lindenwood were shown perfectly and I really could understand where they came from in both zip codes. I think Whitney Grandison did a fantastic job blending the people and both cities to show what was good and bad about both.

Lastly, I think that the writing could've been a little better. I understand that this is a debut novel, and I'm not knocking it for that. I'm just saying that in this book, there should've been a little bit more of an editing process or something like that. There was a point where it skipped a month I believe and I feel like there was this big chunk of storyline that I missed because of that.

Overall, I think that there were things that [b:A Love Hate Thing|43513793|A Love Hate Thing|Whitney D. Grandison|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1560794275l/43513793._SX50_.jpg|67675592] that were good, but things that could've been a lot better. I think that this was a good debut novel to start with and it'll only get better from here!