The Dragon's Eye, by Kaza Kingsley

bngchip55's review against another edition

This was my second time reading this book, and I loved it just as much as I did the first time. This is a great story for anyone who loves magic.

timsprincess's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

madmadammim's review against another edition

Nicely done! I can't say that I expect it to be the next big hit, but I have no doubt it will do well! The cover creeps me out a little bit...but the story was great! Good characters, good plot, good setting as well(though I can't say it was totally creative on the author's part). Well done Kaza Kingsley, definitely enjoyed it, and I'll look forward to book two!
(I realize my reviews on this series make no sense if you follow when they were posted, but these were my opinions when I first finished the book, k? Or, as close as I could get them anyway.)

shebephoebe's review

not my style

iceangel9's review

The first book in the Erec Rex series. Erec is twelve and has six adopted bothers and sisters. His single mother trys her best to care for them all, but they have to move a lot. When his mother goes missing one morning, Erec sets out to find her only to discover another world, a world of magic the likes of which he has never dreamed. He discovers that the kingdom and his world are in peril and he might be the only hope for both worlds. A bright and charming new series. Boys and girls alike will enjoy it.

cindyc3689's review

Kisah petualangan dunia sihir dengan tokoh anak laki-laki yatim berumur 12 tahun yang tak tahu apa-apa tentang dunia sihir sebelumnya, hmmmm... ini mengingatkan pada cerita apa ya...? Kayaknya pernah baca ;p

Meski dengan kemiripan setting dengan HP ini, buku ini masih menyisakan hal-hal menyenangkan untuk dibaca. Ada puisi dan lirik lagu berisi teka-teki, ada benda-benda sihir yang top bgt (pintu kemana saja dilengkapi dengan gps!), juga ada kejutan-kejutan dan twist pada alurnya. Hanya saja alurnya ini sedikit bolak-balik dan pembagian antara dunia sihir dan non-sihirnya terkadang membingungkan.

Menunggu buku kedua, sbl ripiu lebih lanjut d!

kelseyb's review

4.5. Excellent!
At first, like everyone else, I pretty much expected this book to be a blatant ripoff of Harry Potter (and I am a HUGE fan, so I am very protective of anything Potter).
I read this because someone with good taste in books recommended it to me, so I decided I'd give it a try.
I was kind of uncomfortable about the similarities between Erec Rex and Harry Potter at first, but I do realize that many of these things are recurring themes in fantasy in general (magical objects, orphans going on epic quests to fight against evil, etc.).
All in all, though, it is a fabulous book with its own voice and its own story. I very much enjoyed it! I couldn't put it down! And I am most definitely buying the second one tomorrow when I go to work, because I am dying for more Erec Rex.
Kudos to Kaza Kingsley for writing such a fabulous first novel!