The Sun Sword, by Michelle West

evakristin's review

adventurous challenging slow-paced

It's finished! It's done!

Never will I ever read another word by West/Sagara!

I'm still not sure how I managed to finish this series. It's without a doubt my greatest feat as a reader so far.

What I liked: West has created a truly magnificently complex and complete world for her stories, it almost rivals Erikson of the Malazan. I found the Dominion story line interesting and engaging, and several of her characters deeply fascinating: Diora, Kiriel, Valedan, Auralis, Kallandras, Ania.

What I didn't like: The Terafin story line was mostly unbearably boring an uninteresting, a waste of paper and ink and the readers time. I absolutely loathe Jewel, and I don't care at all about her den. I can not describe my joy and relief when I realized that after suffering through the first 80 pages, where West hastily ties off this story for later (go figure!), the rest of the book is about the goings on of the Dominion.

Wests writing style is at it's best beautifully poetic, at its worst endlessly long winded and imprecise to the degree its hard to figure out what's going on.

After reading the last page, there's still a lot of questions unanswered, I'm sure West tackles them in her later books. It's with infinite relief I can conclude I feel no need what so ever to read them.

tatere's review against another edition

Notes on rereread: One thing that's different about reading ebooks is that you aren't always faced with a sense of how far along you are, the way you are when you're holding a physical book. I got to the end of Jewel's part here, and happened to check where I was. Shocked to see that I was barely maybe a fifth of the way through. What could possibly follow that? Oh, right, the whole war thing, the sword, the girl, the end of the world.

*spoilernotspoiler* Falloran! Good dog!

marktimmony's review against another edition

This last title in the Sun Sword series ends with a bang!

Luckily, it is only the end of the second arc in a larger story sequence.

If you like juicy sagas with intelligent writing, rich characterisation and a depth that surpasses the more traditional fantasy, then look no further. One of the things that captivates me about this author is her unique ability to string a sentence together, gradually unfolding a story and presenting distinct ideas, cultures and philosophies. Although her prose can seem dense in parts, it opens up vistas so real that you can’t help feeling you’re actually there. Intricate plotting allows her the space to explore relationships between families, friends and Kingdoms that deepen an already vibrant tale of magic, wonder and human triumph. You will remember this book long after you’ve put it down.

katepreach's review

adventurous challenging emotional inspiring slow-paced

kaylynn's review

A very satisfying conclusion to a very long series. I look forward to the next series!