All Systems Red, by Martha Wells

bibiyaneva's review against another edition

What a wonderful story about a sassy murderbot! The way of writing is so likable and feels cool. I am looking forward reading more of this security unit's adventures.

indigo_han's review against another edition

4.5 fascinatingly fabulous, Edina obsessed, ai murderbot’s out of 5

olatzm's review against another edition

I liked the concept of the story. However, I thought it was going to be an easy read and it’s quite far from that. There is loads of details and you need to pay attention. Besides they use quite a few tech/scientific lingo. Deffo not an easy read. I found the ending quite original but I struggled all the way through.

veny's review against another edition

"Yes, talk to Murderbot about its feelings. The idea was so painful I dropped to 97 percent efficiency. I’d rather climb back into Hostile One’s mouth."

She knows.

aitiology's review

funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

lovelycass's review

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

crypticbeliever123's review against another edition

It was a slow start and after the first couple chapters I was thinking that most people were just overhyping the series. Then about halfway through things started to really pick up and get intense, particularly where Murderbot's secret coming out was involved. This was a short read and I probably could've finished it in one sitting if I'd tried to. Murderbot was a fantastic character, even if their personality was a tad lacking at times but hey they're a robot so that makes sense. I also really liked Mensah's character. She was a very good leader and had compassion for Murderbot even when some of the crew was against them. If this book were a bit longer or the start were a bit quicker it would probably be an easy 4 stars but as it is I'm giving it a 3.5 star rating just because of the 8 chapters it had, the first two didn't really impress me much. Still an enjoyable read though. My biggest complaint is that I couldn't keep track of any of the human characters' personalities or even pronouns beyond Mensah is a good leader and she has a heart, Gurathin was kinda a jerk to Murderbot and I think referred to as he but beyond them I couldn't really remember any of them.

fruitcakecadaver's review against another edition

Relatable android, what’s not to love?

hmonkeyreads's review against another edition

Heard about this on the Handsell podcast. It’s about an android figuring out how to be in the world after it has hacked its Governor unit so it has autonomy.

Funny at times, includes a central mystery, plus some rumination on personhood.

Edited to add: if you like this and plan to keep reading the series pay attention to all the character & company names because they will be important in later books. I didn’t know this was an ongoing series so I didn’t take care to really remember everything and I wished that I did as I moved along on the series.

audrakath's review