Wenn die Dunkelheit endet, by Constance Sayers

gabianne's review against another edition

Similar vibe to Taylor Jenkins Reid's The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

shelbells1993's review against another edition

adventurous challenging mysterious tense slow-paced

kayla_moerman's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

marcytee's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad fast-paced

stranger_sights's review against another edition

There’s some magic here, plenty of star-cross’d lovers, a little light demon business, some blood rituals, and trips through late 19th century France, 1930s Hollywood, 1970’s LA, and recent-times D.C.

The only thing keeping me from rating this book higher is that for a story that hinges upon a demon-driven witch-curse, there is remarkably little of any of that to be found. The curse is almost an afterthought. I mean, I get that the real story here is the love story, but…I feel a little let down. That being said, I still really enjoyed reading this, and based on the quality of the work, I still find it hard to reconcile that this is Constance Sayers’ first novel.

All in all, I highly recommend.

samthebookdevotee's review against another edition

This book made me think a lot. It was intense and heavy at times, however, the writing is phenomenal. The author did a great job bringing these four women to life. I was not a big fan of either love interest to be honest. I debated giving 4 stars instead of five for this, but the work was just so good I couldn't do it. I highly recommend this book. As stated above, it is not a light read. This is a great read to fill your entire day with. I honestly have no clue what I am going to read next because I have such a book hangover now lol.

copp0928's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

bluekelpie's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious sad fast-paced

kristendom's review against another edition

I have to admit, I enjoyed this book so much more than I expected (don't ask me why I didn't expect to enjoy it - my mind works in mysterious ways). I really loved the fact that we got three character stories as part of the overall story. This book follows Helen, who in present day, has started having startlingly realistic dreams about three women from three different timespans while also starting to exhibit some strange powers. Once she meets Luke, certain things start to fall into place about who she is in relation to these women, and how she can stop what has become a torturous cycle of love and betrayal. I loved the historical fiction aspects of the book - really found those enjoyable. Would have loved to get more of Helen's story, as it wasn't nearly as fleshed out as the other three. Definitely a solid witchy read.

kizzabell's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful mysterious reflective medium-paced