Salvation Day by Kali Wallace

millyferg's review against another edition

This was really good.

knightofswords's review against another edition

Poorly written, plodding.

Reads like an "adult" novel for people who have spent most of their lives reading YA fiction and "want something more challenging"

muaddib8035's review against another edition

I read a little more than halfway and it wasn’t what I was expecting, I was hoping for space zombies and there wasn’t but thats on me. Definitely give it a read and see if you like it.

meaganlr's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark medium-paced

malreynolds111's review against another edition

Review to come

zoff's review against another edition

dark tense fast-paced

hank's review against another edition

Now that I am done, I can finally go read friends reviews because I am not sure myself what I think about this book.

Like Shrek and onions, there were layers to Salvation Day. It starts out as almost a heist story. A group of people are capturing a shuttle for a somewhat unknown purpose. The story continues with sudden reveals adding more and more.....layers (seriously need to find another word).

Salvation Day is a mix of mystery, horror and sci-fi with some well developed and believable characters. It all worked for me except the very end. I found many of the ship scenes super creepy. Hints at the ultimate mystery were around but I was fully engaged trying to figure it out and I completely bought into several of the main characters, their motivations and ultimate decisions.

The end lost me but not so much to affect the 4 star rating. I will now go find out where it went wrong for others.

jackierabbit's review against another edition

rachreadreview's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

5/5
- In the distant future, the massive research spaceship “House of Wisdom” suffered a deadly viral attack, killing everyone on board but a young boy. Ten years later, that same boy, with his sole genetic ID, is taken hostage to get back on the ship by a group who want to use it for their own purposes. Obviously, things go from bad to worse aboard the floating tomb out in the cold darkness of space.

- Do I love horror novels and movies? Yes. Do I have a respectful fear of space? Also yes. (Space is beautiful and vast and full of untapped knowledge but it is also 100% terrifying and I want nothing to do with it, thanks). I even love space horror movies. However, I have never really been into the sci-fi genre when it comes to my reading. Though, this book may have changed that.

- The book was fast-paced and tense and will definitely keep you on the edge of your seat while reading. It was so easy to picture the dark halls and rotted plants and floating bodies/debris in the red emergency lights of the ship. This really helped create that scared and paranoid feeling I think the author was going for.

- The characters were also really diverse and fleshed-out. Even the ones I didn’t like at the beginning (Zahra, please. It is the year 2404 HOW are we still falling for narcissistic and delusional cult leaders who call their followers “The Family”? I know they have history books in space.) I came to feel for and care about by the end. And I was like that one meme: “I’ve only had Baqir for a day and a half, but if anything happened to him…”

- Anyway, I think was a great first read to get me into the sci-fi/space-horror genre. If you guys have any similar suggestions, let me know!

amyholloway820's review against another edition