Chimera, by Mira Grant

pilotwhale's review against another edition

2.5 stars. RTC, maybe.

curgoth's review against another edition

Nice conclusion to the series. It was interesting reading this around the same time as listening to the audiobook of the conclusion of Grant's other trilogy (Newsflesh). Both series have a lot of the same bits (zombies, a rogue mad scientist doing Science! on the run, a damaged, violent young woman, sinister government organizations involved in the zombies, prominent dogs, etc.), but the stories are actually *about* very different things.

The Parasitology trilogy, in any case, is a more polished work. I may have *liked* Newsflesh a little more, because Georgia and Shaun are more fun than Sal and Nathan, but the pieces and plot fit and flow better here.

I also like that Sal never became a badass - she got tougher, but she stayed true to her Sal-ness all the way through.

kelroka's review against another edition

I enjoyed this series overall but was disappointed with this last installment.

katbond's review against another edition

Not very satisfying. At the end, I think the parasite metaphor was just too much.

alexctelander's review against another edition

In what was originally planned as a duology, now comes to a close in the final, third volume of Mira Grant’s Parasitology trilogy, Chimera. Implanted tapeworms are rising up and taking over their human hosts everywhere, turning them into mindless, zombie-like mobs. The world is in a state of collapse.

The book opens where Symbiont left off. Sal is a “guest,” AKA prisoner of USAMRIID (United States Army Medical Research Institute for Infectious Diseases). Her hope is that she will be treated okay because her father is the one in charge until she can come up with a plan to escape. But there are those below her father who see Sal as the cause of all this trouble and wish to take out some vengeance on her.

Eventually Sal escapes and joins her group with Dr. Cale. Then the next step is to work out how to neutralize the tapeworm eggs that another chimera and enemy, Sherman, inserted into the water supply. The water will affect everyone and anyone – chimera, human, sleepwalker alike, all with the goal of creating an army of superior chimeras like Sal and Sherman. They just have to save the world. No biggie.

Chimera moves through very similar stages to the first two books, and actually to Mira Grant books in general, making it feel pretty repetitive and uninspiring to read. While there are some twists, for the most part, things end as expected. A new character and type of chimera does add an interesting element to the mix, but overall the final volume is a somewhat dissatisfying conclusion, with a placid and unoriginal outcome.

Originally written on March 23, 2016 ©Alex C. Telander.

For more reviews, check out the BookBanter site.

indiepauli47's review against another edition

Nice conclusion overall to this quite disturbing trilogy.
I've got to say than once I get over the fact that Sal is a tapeworm (which I don't think I will ever get over), I really appreciated that Sal and Nathan have been together since book 1 and their relationship stayed constant throughout the trilogy. That's a nice change from all the insta-love and love triangles that usually overpopulate YA books.
Good ending even though the more I think about it, the more I feel like it was wrapped up all too fast after all the struggles they went through. But hey, I'm not complaining, cause the ending made sense and isn't all lovey-dovey and perfect.
And can I say that I absolutely love Fishy, this guy definitely deserves to be more than a NPC.
If I had time to kill, I should count how many times the word "survival" is used.. We got it, Sal, you want to survive. Well, looks like you've done it.

kristenwestfall's review against another edition

Satisfying ending to the series.

lauragarabedian's review against another edition

Absolutely amazing. Since finding Mira Grant I've read this whole series a couple times, and will keep on rereading. I adore this series.

faethverity's review against another edition

Very satisfying conclusion! I love the way this series considers the nature of personhood and what it is to be a monster.

lpcoolgirl's review against another edition

Loved reading this book, it was such a fantastic end to this series! Loved how things worked out and wrapped up! Such an incredible read!