asangtani's review

teresa_det's review

adventurous funny fast-paced

saravolk01's review

adventurous funny informative slow-paced

trin's review against another edition

Reread. I was just in the mood. It was interesting, because the last time I read this book I had just discovered [author: Bill Bryson] and I read a whole bunch of his books all at once; this time I got to see more clearly how this one stood out from the pack. It's definitely not my favorite—I think that would probably be [book: Notes From a Small Island], if only because I am equally bewitched by the subject matter—but it's a solid effort all around. I think the best stuff is the stuff about Stephen Katz, who was also Bryson's traveling companion in the flashback parts of [book: Neither Here Nor There]. Katz has an actual character arc, which is unusual, I think, for a nonfiction work—I like the development of his and Bryson's prickly friendship as they hike the Appalachian Trail, and the part at the end where they get separated still sends me into a panic even knowing how it turns out. Not my favorite Bryson, but definitely a good one.

swaye's review against another edition

Such a disappointment. I don't understand all the glowing reviews this book gets. Bryson comes off as a high and mighty asshole. How many times did he need to make a derisive remark about someone's weight? Ugh. Overhyped snoozefest.

curiousintrovert's review

I read this book at least once every year. It’s divine.

amylikestoread's review against another edition

Started strong then lost interest towards the end

mpmueller's review

Described as humor, read like biology textbook